Topgolf, Midtown

For my internal built environment, I chose Topgolf, Midtown. Although it was not on the list for internal built environments, I was encouraged to choose it because of the fun that I have with my friends there and the fact that I work there. In my option, it is a much cooler place to observe than a coffee shop, museum, and market. Over the course of the past few weeks, I have spent a hours exploring and observing Topgolf from the perspective of a guest rather than an employee.

With an area as large, diverse, and captivating as Topgolf, one image could not fully show its greatness. Thus, I collected various digital records to show its best attributes. The records represent the attraction well because they show almost all that Topgolf has to offer. Topgolf is located at 1600 Ellsworth Industrial Boulevard, which less than a ten minute drive from my apartment and the Georgia State campus. When I first moved downtown, over the summer, Topgolf was not yet opened and still in the process of hiring people. At the time, I was unaware of what exactly Topgolf was and had no interest in working there. My roommate, however, did and got the job and kept insisting that I come golf with him. After one time I was hooked, which is why I felt that I should observe it as my internal built environment.

My digital records included a picture of the outside of the building, my bay reservation, the full bar, the lounge area, the target goals, and a video of my friend Alyssa demonstrating how the golfing works. The outside of the building is illuminated with bright blue lights that can be seen from down the street, which draw people in. In order to get a bay, which is where people golf, I had to make a reservation. I wound up on the second floor at bay 25; it was labeled “225”. While people are waiting on their bays or just hanging out, they can go to the bar or the first floor lounge. The bar is also illuminated with bright blue lights and is fully stocked. The lounge has pool tables and video games that people of all ages enjoy.

In my time observing Topgolf, I spent most of the evening at a bay with my friend Alyssa. I taught her how to swing the golf club and the goal of the game that wanted to play. We played a game called “Top Score”. To get a ball, she just had to wave her foot or the club over a sensor and a ball would be dispensed. With her blue women’s clubs, she hit the ball off of the platform and into a target in the outfield. For the game “Top Score”, we received points based on how many yards the ball went. The computer at our bay knew who got what points because of a computer chip in the ball and in the goals that matches our bay. The technology is so cool.

Topgolf was so much fun to observe. Alyssa and I ordered dinner and dessert from our bay, toured the building (even though I’d seen if before as an employee), and watched the different groups of people enjoy their time there too. The various groups of people ranges from families, to dates, and even to a Delta group that rented out an area. Some people are genuine golfers, while others are amateurs (such as myself), but regardless of the person, age or gender, everyone can come and enjoy themselves. Although I typically spend roughly 30 hours a week at Topgolf, it was amazing getting to see the place from a new perspective. It was so lively and entertaining.