Eva Perón

Before visiting Eva Perón’s museum, I did not understand how important she was to Argentina. Seeing the mausoleum she now rests on also did not indicate her significance. Still, I now know that is the result of kidnapping and removal by the military. Evita accomplished so much in only 33 years. The transit home she opened seems to be the most significant. By purchasing a mansion for houseless women and children, she exclaimed that all people deserved to live an equal life and the sharing of wealth is necessary. I think the closest person to a First Lady similar to her in the US would have been Eleanor Roosevelt, but I am not entirely sure that is a fair comparison. Her role as a humanitarian shows the importance of upholding the freedoms of others. This idea is expressed in ‘Criminalizing Human Rights Violations,’ and I think Evita embodied these ideals perfectly. I thought it was interesting that we could not photograph any of her dresses because I think the very with most public figures who are women, their clothing has become idolized (I.e., Jackie Kennedy’s pink suit or Princess Diana’s wedding dress). Still, at this museum, it seemed as though they wanted the focus to be on her activism and not on what she was wearing.