Calendar (W Hybrid)
What is the general plan for the course, and when are things due?
The detailed course calendar and a week-by-week overview are available below. Here is the general plan for the course; keep in mind that this general plan is subject to change:
Week 1 | Getting Started
- Introduction to the course
- Individual website set-up (sites.gsu.edu)
Weeks 2-5 | Unit 1: Exteriors
- Reading Summaries 1 & 2 (11:59 pm, January 25th)
- Bibliography Annotations 1, 2,& 3 (11.59 pm, February 5)
- Built Environment Description 1: Exterior (11:59 pm, February 12)
- SCHINDLER, SARAH. “Architectural Exclusion: Discrimination And Segregation Through Physical Design Of The Built Environment.” Yale Law Journal 124.6 (2015): 1934-2024. Academic Search Complete. Web. 20 Nov. 2015.
- NERSESSOVA, IRINA. “Tapestry Of Space: Domestic Architecture And Underground Communities In Margaret Morton’s Photography Of A Forgotten New York.” Disclosure 23 (2014): 26. Advanced Placement Source. Web. 20 Nov. 2015.
- MORTON, MARGARET. The Tunnel : The Underground Homeless Of New York City. n.p.: New Haven : Yale University Press, c1995., 1995. GEORGIA STATE UNIV’s Catalog. Web. 20 Nov. 2015. [*On reserve in the library]
Weeks 6-8 | Unit 2: Interiors
- Reading Summaries 3 & 4 (11:59 pm, February 15th)
- Bibliography Annotations 4, 5, & 6 (11:59 pm, February 22nd)
- Built Environment Description 2: Interior (11:59 pm, March 4th)
- “Recognizing Campus Landscapes as Learning Spaces” by Kathleen G. Scholl and Gowri Betrabet Gulwad http://libjournal.uncg.edu/jls/article/view/972
- “His & Hers: Designing for a Post-Gender Society” by Suzanne Tick http://www.metropolismag.com/March-2015/His-or-Hers-Designing-for-a-Post-Gender-Society/
- BAZELON, EMILY. “Making Bathrooms More Accommodating.” New York Times Magazine. 17 November 2015. Web. 2 January 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/magazine/making-bathrooms-more-accommodating.html?_r=0
- “Space and Consequences: The Impact of Different Formal Learning Spaces on Instructor and Student Behavior” by D. Christopher Brooks
Weeks 9-11 | Unit 3: Digital Spaces
- Reading Summaries 5 & 6 (11:59 pm, March 7th)
- Bibliography Annotations 7, 8, 9, & 10 (11:59 pm, March 25th)
- Built Environment Description 3: Digital Space (11:59 pm, April 1st)
- By Week 12 these major projects should be complete: Reading Summaries, Annotated Bibliography, Built Environment Descriptions. After Week 12, submissions related to these major projects will no longer be accepted.
- “Color Walking” by Radiolab: http://www.radiolab.org/story/214709-color-walk/
Weeks 12-15 | Unit 4: Text as Built Environment
- Built Environment Analysis (or, for top earners across all of the sections, Collaborative Website, 11:59 pm, April 25th)
- Course evaluations and conclusions
This is an overview of the readings and deliverables for the week of:
Click on a particular date to view event details. You can also use Google to view and subscribe to your class calendar: