I DecIde

This is a photo of me after I voted for Keisha Bottoms, at my voting precinct. Election Days are times of pride and happiness for me. My parents often expressed the importance of voting all throughout my childhood and adolescence. I can still remember the first time I went to a precinct, back when President Bush and Senator Gore were running for office. I remember wanting to vote and being unable to, because of my age.  This made me very upset, I was an American citizen, so I wanted to vote. My parents told me that I ought to be grateful because some of my ancestors never got the opportunity to vote; one day I would. The first I time I ever voted was back when President Obama and Senator McCain were running office. I was ecstatic that my Candidate won, however discovering people in my close circles voted differently or not at all was a downer. Back then and even now a lot of my peers said that my vote doesn’t really count so it’s not worth time and trouble. These days I strive to participate in every election especially the local ones because they affect me more. My friends complain about Marta being too short, I laugh and say you should’ve voted. I may not be able to directly make laws and choose what gets written up or off. But awareness of my politicians locally and federally is powerful tool. With this knowledge, ultimately what happens in Atlanta and America is something I DECIDE.

8 thoughts on “I DecIde

1. I love this! I feel the exact same way as you. It took me quite a few years to realize that the local elections are where it’s at. The 2016 election was very intense for me as I stood in line. I had to keep my eyes on my phone and play stupid little games because it made me sad and mad and all sorts of other emotions to know that other people in that line were voting for .. well, let’s just say.. a man who was NOT one I wanted to lead the country. But true, local elections are what will help Marta and parks and local laws and our life on a more day-to-day basis.

2. Thank you for posting this. I remember the first time I was able to vote. I was proud and grateful to have the opportunity to vote and at the time I was in the Air Force, so I felt the magnitude of casting my vote for my next potential Commander-in-chief. I was able to vote for the first in the 2008 election as well and I felt honored to be a part of that history. My candidate won!!!

3. If more people thought like you, our lives would be much better. Due to the frankly bleak turn history took early in this century, many people simply resigned themselves and decided to turn apolitical–stopped voting, stopped engaging with local politics, stopped caring. But this only aggravates the problem (as the 2016 election showed). I am happy that, at least at GSU, people still seem to be engaged and decided, even confronted with all of the chaos of the recent years.

4. Unlike you I was never politically active until much later, not until Obama first ran for office. Seeing how excited black people got at the prospect of having an African American president made me want to be more involved. Participating in his election filled me with a sense of pride I never felt before and helped me understand that my vote counts. I now harass my friends to go out and vote and regulary attend city council meeting to be better informed about whats going on in my community.

5. I also never voted until former President Obama was in office. This made me excited however at the same time I felt that my vote didn’t count as well. I believe its usually our own peers to feel this way vs older adults who encourage us to go out and vote. I knew that my vote mattered was unsure how. Now I vote often as well and recently voted Keisha Bottoms (great choice!) lol.

6. This image definitely touches home for me. I was also raised in a family that firmly believed in voting and standing up politically. At a young age, my mother had my 4 siblings and I volunteer and join the youth NAACP chapter in our district. I think to see all the work that goes into getting others to use their right to vote made me realize how important it is. I often remind my own children that while others may think that voting is pointless, I digress, a large number of people coming together to change a decision or law can be much more powerful than some realize. I also think about the influence that one’s culture and background may have on their perspective and viewpoint on voting. We have to remember that not everyone grew up in a household that stressed the importance of voting or having any part in politics.

7. This shirt and your post is awesome. I couldn’t agree with you more. I still remember the first time I got to vote, I was so excited! Now more than ever, we really need to exercise our rights as citizens and vote on issues that matter to us. Local and national elections are important, and I really understand that now as an adult. I hate to hear people complain who aren’t doing anything to change our circumstances. We have the power to help make the change we want to see.

8. It is so wonderful to see people in the younger generations taking part in the voting process. There is such apathy towards democracy that it has the power to swing votes. Yet, this is a right that so many fought for and died while exercising. Not that people should be guilted into voting but things will never change if you don’t make your voice heard. It is wonderful that your parents instilled the importance in you at a young age. I hope that you are able to inspire your friends to take a stand with their ballot as well. It’s not always about who wins but about who speaks up.