Welcome to the Army

In class we learned that culture is more than just your race, but also any institution or group that you are apart of. The picture is a class picture of the basic training camp that I went to and my first step within the Army culture. The Army from the time I stepped off the bus to the time I left basic training begin to install their core Army values such as Integrity, duty, honor, Respect, Selfless Service and Personal Courage upon me. Not only did they teach us the values of being a soldier, but also through the tough situations and conditions that we had to go through those same values where reinforced.  Undoubtedly the army is a collective culture, where that trying to be an individual is highly frowned upon. The collective culture of the army begins with we unity and the accountability of each other . For example  if one person gets in trouble for not being in the right uniform than we all get in trouble.  In a sense creating a system where we look out for each other. In the end I am happy to have been able to join the Army culture as its one of many things I am proud of.

8 thoughts on “Welcome to the Army

1. I like that you took a different approach in your post to explain a part of your culture. I agree that the army definitely has its own culture and places big emphasis on collective culture. In my culture individualism is more important but as I learn more about other cultures, I see more of the benefits to a collective culture. I appreciate your service!

2. This is a such a unique to look at culture. The army life is indeed a culture of its own. The structure and way of life is understood uniquely b y those who have some type of military background similar to those who are from the same nation or place. This was an interesting post!

3. I think that this is such an interesting example of how culture is not confined to a singular definition! Being a member of the army must have been a unique cultural experience that many of will never experience. I love how you included the central values of the army as an example of cultural value systems. I also think that being unable to distinguish which individual in the picture is interesting in the sense that it visually showcases the level of importance that the army places on collectivism.

4. I really love this post, not only is it unique in expressing your sense of culture and identity, but it also hits close to home. As an airman serving in the US Air Force, I am so happy to see someone else embrace these values of integrity and service before self as much as I do. Thank you for your service and thank you for opening my eyes, I never deemed serving in the military as part of my culture, but the moment I read this, it just felt like an epiphany. I never realized how much being in the military could be a part of my culture, but I guess that’s probably more due to the rough definition of culture I grew up with. Again thank you for your service and thank you for sharing this!

5. I love your post! I am a veteran myself so everything you mentioned is definitely accurate. I still felt like an individual up until the confidence course which we had to use every individual in our team to get to the next course. I actually fell down the repel tower (luckily I didn’t break anything) so I didn’t have much faith in my battle buddies. Our 1SG actually did the course with us and he even helped us climb the wooden tower. At that point, I realized we were an army of one… not individuals. I still continue to live and uphold the Army values instilled in me. HOOAH!

6. I think it is very interesting that you chose a culture that goes beyond your ethnic culture. Personally, I can connect to the Army and Navy having a strict collectivist culture in which everyone must work in unison. My friend and boyfriend both work for the Armed Forces and they make sure that those in their division are following the rules in order to stay out of trouble. This culture is also similar to Thai culture because all the friends and family look out for each other and base many of their decisions on their surrounding environment.