Don’t Touch My Hair

Of all of the aspects and trends that go into Black culture, hair is something that has remained a constant. When I was younger, my mom struggled to find products that worked on my hair. Stylists wanted to either perm or flat out not do it. Most of society told me that it was ugly/unmanageable, and I’ve grown to realize that this is an experience for the women and men in my culture. We were all expected to cut, hide, and alter our hair to fit societal norms. Lately, more and more Black people are embracing their different hair textures. Recently, ex-FLOTUS Michelle Obama was spotted with her hair in its natural state; and the community found that as a relief. Solange even made an entire song that covered a few concepts of hair. If you were to take a look around your class room, you would see less Caesar cuts and more styles embracing natural hair. These images, though he guy posted that as an “opposite” of Solange, somewhat represent where the culture stands with hair. We’re in a good place; and, hopefully we can continue to embrace ourselves.