Birthday Tables

Today, I would describe my family’s culture as simply American.  However, we do have one unique tradition: the birthday table. Everyone gets a birthday table to wake up to on his or her birthday. When we were young, going to sleep the night before our birthday felt like going to sleep on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa. But unlike Christmas, the next morning would be all about you! Of course, the content and excitement levels evolved over the years as tables with wrapped toys turned into cards with money and flowers. We do our best to make sure everyone gets some form of a birthday table no matter what age. The first picture is from my birthday this past February with cupcakes, flowers, and inside that box is a large painting from my parents. Somehow, no matter where I am living, my mom has always found a way to make it work. My roommates have been great sports and I never expect it, especially the older I get. The second photo is my mom’s table from this past weekend. We were visiting my grandma in Orlando, where my grandma had it set up waiting to surprise my mom when we arrived. My family is very loving year round but birthday tables are one tangible way we let each other know we are grateful that person was born!

4 thoughts on “Birthday Tables

1. What a sweet tradition! I’m impressed that your mom has been able to pull off a birthday table no matter where you are living. I imagine having a table set up for you with flowers, gifts and treats must make you feel special. My favorite part about celebrating birthdays has always been the cake. I love getting to try out new cake recipes and then embarrassing my friends or family with trick candles and the birthday song.

2. I absolutely love this! This really appeals to me because it is not about the gifts you get but the idea of celebrating you in a cute way. This would beat any birthday party to me in my opinion. I would love to start doing this with my family and friends to make them feel special and simply show my appreciation for them existing.

3. Your tradition is beautiful! I love the fact that no matter where you are you guys always have each other in mind. The fact that you guys do this every year and focus on that special person on thier days is what birthdays are about.

4. I think this is is really cool because my family does the same thing for my sister and I as well. No matter where we are, for every holiday we do something like this. Some flowers, a card, and a present arranged nicely on the kitchen table is a nice way to celebrate a birthday. Now, since my mom always did it for my sister and I, we like to do it for her as well on her birthday, mother’s day, etc.