- Arola, Kristin L., Jennifer Sheppard, Cheryl E. Ball. Writer/Designer: A Guide to Making Multimodal Projects. (Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2014) — http://bit.ly/1tbI2aI
- Lunsford, Andrea, et al. Everyone’s An Author. (WW Norton, 2013) — http://bit.ly/1tpOtr1
- Additional readings posted to the class website or to the resources on Marca
Many of the essays on material culture studies will be drawn from the following texts:
- Deetz, James. In Small Things Forgotten. (Doubleday, 1996). http://gilfinduc.usg.edu/vufind/Record/1002024 or http://gilfinduc.usg.edu/vufind/Record/1974972
- Prown, Jules David, and Kenneth Haltman. American Artifacts. (MIchigan State University Press, 2000). http://gilfinduc.usg.edu/vufind/Record/782019
- Lubar, Steven, and W. David Kingery. History From Things. (Smithsonian, 1993). http://gilfinduc.usg.edu/vufind/Record/1777878
- Quimby, Ian M. G. Material Culture and the Study of American Life. (W.W. Norton, 1978). http://gilfinduc.usg.edu/vufind/Record/1009981
When I post the reading for each week in the weekly overview, I will identify which one of the books listed above contains the assigned essay. I have included here links to the listings for these books in the Georgia Interconnected Libraries (GIL) catalog. To complete the readings drawn from them, you can check out these books using GIL Express, or you may stop by my office and borrow the GSU library copies that I have checked out.
Required Materials and Resources
- Access to a laptop for in-class use.
- Access to email on a daily basis.
- An account on Twitter.
- An account on Flickr.
- Access to computer software and programs (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Multimedia Studio, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.).
- Individually-owned web domain hosted by an ISP other than GSU.
- Funds for printing or binding class materials (posters, infographics, formal reports, etc.).
Recommended Materials and Resources
- The Writing Studio at Georgia State (http://www.writingstudio.gsu.edu/)
- Lynda.com (http://technology.gsu.edu/technology-services/it-services/training-and-learning-resources/lynda-com-training/)
- Georgia State Digital Aquarium Multimedia Lab (http://technology.gsu.edu/technology-services/it-services/labs-and-classrooms/innovative-academic-facilities/digital-aquarium/)
Image credit “labor day” by Ginny on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ginnerobot/2820269648.