EARN EASY CASH IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTES!!!

Every kid likes cash, right? Especially fresh, crisp bills that don’t make you wonder how many people have touched them. In Korea, kids are provided with an opportunity to get quick cash during Seollal, the Korean New Year. Seollal is a huge holiday (Korea’s busiest holiday for traveling) taking place over the course of three days, referred to as the day of, the day before, and the day after. On the day of, family members wear their traditional clothing for Seollal called seolbim, and they perform rituals to honor their ancestors. Another tradition takes place that involves the children paying respect to their elders. Children dress in their traditional hanbok and enter a room in which their elders have been gathered. Then the children perform a “deep bow” (different and more difficult than a bow you may be imagining) that’s called a sebae. The bows are different for boys and girls, and girls have the option between two different bows (one is easier than the other). While you bow, you’re also supposed to say the traditional phrase that roughly translates to “I wish you many blessings in the New Year” and then the elder gives you sebaeddon (sebae money) in a pretty, decorative traditional pouch. But there’s a catch: you can receive more or less cash depending on the quality of your bow. Knowing this, many kids practice their bows a lot right before Seollal to prepare. Girls will practice the harder of their two bows so they can get the most money. So, depending on your motivation and level of effort, you could potentially walk away with a sack full of crisp bills (the elders go to the bank and specifically get crispy bills for this tradition). I never participated in this tradition growing up, but my mother made sure to tell me all about it, so I’ve always wondered actually how much cash I missed out on while I harbored resentment towards my mom (just kidding!). On a serious note, Seollal and sebae isn’t just about the money; this tradition is an exciting and fun way to socialize children about the value of respecting their elders, while also teaching them a nonverbal behavior that communicates respect and appreciation.

One thought on “EARN EASY CASH IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTES!!!

1. I really love how this tradition is exciting for both the elders and the children! I’m sure the adults love watching the children perform the bow as well as the process of passing on an aspect of their culture to future generations. But the children must get just as much enjoyment from practicing, performing, and then receiving cash and praise from their elders. As a child growing up in America, New Years was never that exciting for me because it usually involved staying up until midnight to watch adults party on television. If I end up having a child, this tradition has inspired me to make sure that New Years is exciting for them as well.