The Integrated Culture

My name is Michael Rivera, and this picture represents my culture. I am from Staten Island, New York, and I am Italian and Puerto Rican. I do not focus on one, but instead these two integrate into one multi-culture. As an Italian, I celebrate Christmas Eve with The Vigil. During this time, Italians usually participate in a feast of seven different fish. As typical as the Italian stereotypes, I often eat pasta, lasagna, and pizza. Italian cookies are also delicious. As a Puerto Rican, I often participate in the Puerto Rican Day parade that occurs annually on the second Sunday of June. The parade honors the Puerto Rican heritage as it resides in the United States mainland. When I cook, I often include a side of rice gandules. This Puerto Rican dish consists of rice and pigeon peas. If a fruit were to represent Puerto Rican culture, mangos would definitely serve as a representation. They are sweet and tasty! Lastly, the centered photo is a picture of my brothers, my nephew, and I. This photo symbolizes how cultures can be so different, but they can integrate as one!

6 thoughts on “The Integrated Culture

1. It is fantastic that you are able to integrate both cultures. I too am from New York so it is not uncommon for most residents of the state to engage in multicultural diversity. With doing you have more access to different languages, dress, and more importantly, food!

2. It is so cool to know that you are Italian and Puerto Rican!! Makes me wonder where your parents met and how they were brought to NY!! So awesome!! Do you know why you eat fish for the seven days of the feast? What does it symbolize?

-Alina Crawford

3. It’s so awesome that youre able to freely express yourself in both of your family’s culture! With me being in an interracial relationship, I know that my kids are going to learn to embrace and love both sides of their history. It must be awesome to learn and live in different cultures in one family.

4. Michael, it sounds like your family does a great job of integrating their own cultures into their family’s life here in the States. As some of the other comments said, its amazing that you are able to embrace all that makes you YOU and unique. Between the food, the festivities, and the languages, you are able to appreciate the cultural diversity and integration that makes this country thrive! Life is a little boring and stagnant without various influences and new ideas/ways of thinking, celebrating, and living.

5. I’m also biracial, yet I find it difficult to integrate both of my cultures, so I find myself having to choose between one or the other at times, sort of like a tug-of-war. I’m curious, have you ever been in a position where you felt like you had to pick a side? For example, if both of your cultures have a significant tradition for the same holiday, what do you see yourself doing?

6. I think that it’s really unique that you keep in touch with both sides of your culture. Being successful in integration is not always easily achievable due to possible identity dissonance, but you and your family have been able to well manage your lives in both of your cultures. You are able to see the world from different perspectives than others due to your unique upbringing. That is a special thing to value.