Krampus the “evil partner” of Santa Claus and other Christmas things

In some Eastern and Western European cultures St. Nicolas, the original Santa Clause, does not roam the night alone. He has his partner Krampus giving out punishment to those who have behaved badly during the year. Krampus most likely originated from Austria derived from pagan beliefs. He was later adapted to Christian beliefs symbolizing the devil himself. As I’m from Hungary Europe I grow up with this figure fearing his coming. Interestingly, neither St. Nicolas nor Krampus came on Christmas. These two figures came on the 6th of December during the night, either leaving you a small present or if you were bad, Krampus leaving you with a small broomstick.

When Christmas came we were taught to believe that Jesus was responsible for the gifts as we celebrated his birth.  We received all the gifts on the night of the 24th of December after the family dinner.

Coming to America I was surprised that presents were exchanged on the next morning instead the previous night. Since being a dad, I’m especially glad that I kept this one tradition so I don’t have to wake up early on the 25th.

8 thoughts on “Krampus the “evil partner” of Santa Claus and other Christmas things

1. This image is very intruiging because living in the United States my whole life, I thought the concept of Christmas was universal. I think it is a great thing that you kept that one tradition, it will keep your culture alive hopefully through the generations to come! There is no concept of Christmas in my culture/religion. However I have become very accustomed to the American version of Christmas and learning of the different ways people celebrate it around the world is so insightful.

2. This snapshot is extremely interesting. I was actually unaware that this was a real tradition because a movie had just come out about it. I find interesting that a few countries in Europe have a more creepy outlook in regards to the Christmas tradition. I too believed that most countries had a similar tradition in regards to Christmas.

3. This snapshot is quite interesting. To start, in America, we don’t have a separate character for bad kids. Santa Claus will leave a lump of coal to us if we have been bad (instead of presents). I wonder why Krampus leaves a broomstick? Another interesting thing is that these characters come on the 6th. When I was studying in Belgium, we were supposed to leave our shoes out on the evening of the 5th so that St. Nicholas could fill them with candy while we slept. I am curious why December 6th is celebrated in Europe but not typically celebrated here.

4. I love krampus! That probably sounds weird, but I like creepy/scary folklore. They have a Krampus play every year at 7 Stages theater in Little Five Points. I’ve always wanted to go but they usually perform right before Christmas when life gets super busy for me. I’m not sure if it is kid friendly but it might be something fun to check out.

5. VERY INTRUIGING!!! I didn’t even know this actually even existed. I might go and grab the movie that was mentioned from another comment above me. Wow, and I do agree that people from all over the world have creepy/different/not normal to Americans meanings of what Christmas stands for. Wow, now I’m kind of nervous seeing this movie!! I was raised in the same way with the christmas tradition and having to sleep in on the 25th was the best part..but we did open up Santas gifts that morning!!! But the other christmas gifts we opened Christmas eve..

Alina Crawford

6. I had no clue this was actually a tradition! I have seen a few old films from the 70’s depicting this creature along with the most recent film that came out in 2016 called Krampus. Literally thought it was just a Hollywood Christmas flick. Anyways, thank you for sharing with us, I am used to the American tradition of waking up early every morning on the 25th to open presents. It is interesting to hear these stories about different cultures, especially when it involves a religious holiday.

Thanks

7. Your post is interesting to me because I am actually in the process of reading the book Krampus. I only know so much from what my coworker told me about the book before I started reading it, but I was under the impression that Krampus and Santa Claus were enemies and ultimately tried to defeat each other. It is also interesting to know that you have a different meaning/interpretation of Santa Claus than the interpretation that is held in the United States. Normally, our family tradition was we were able to open ONE present at midnight Christmas Day, then we were told to fall asleep in which when we awoke in the morning, we would be able to open the rest of the presents. It is cool that while we are anticipating what our gifts are or what we will get, you and your family are already enjoying all of your gifts. Totally Jelly. 🙂

8. I wouldn’t even know who Krampus is if it weren’t for the movie, “Krampus”, that came out two years ago. It was a horror movie that came out around Christmas time (funny, I know). It was pretty scary, but then again, I am spooked pretty easily. You should check it out! Personally, I don’t celebrate Christmas but i’m always very intrigued by folklore from different faiths, and this one is a classic.