“It’s greater in Decatur.”

20160206_144121 20160206_144022

20160206_144442

When my and my roommate decided to made our journey from the campus dorms to Decatur, I was highly anticipating what I would see. I had heard stories from my friends how the city was an economic and tourist hub and how everyone loved being there. From a city with its inception in the 1800’s, I wanted to see how modernized the city has truly become. When first walking around, I entered the park behind the city’s courthouse. I saw passing families on a Saturday stroll as well as independently owned restaurants across the street. This mixture of nature and commerce showed the importance that this bond had on the very culture of the city.  Continuing our walk through the city on the paved sidewalks mixed in with rocky pathways, I was captivated by the smells of different bakeries as well as the scent of flowers and trees. For a moment had almost completely forgotten I was in a place no more than 20 minutes away from the Downtown Atlanta Area.  We then ate at a local restaurant whose owner my roommate was friends with and I was very impressed by the friendliness of its residents. These people weren’t the typical “city”type, and they seemed to show an affection to new people and visitors. Continuing our walk through downtown, I was able to see the styles and wear of many of it’s younger residents. Many of their clothes looked straight out of a Goodwill, but that was their true intention. In a town where wealth seems to be apparent, many of these people choose the abandon the typical image of upper class. They choose instead to shop and eat at simple mom and pop restaurants instead of the luxurious restaurant chains. Even the newer restaurants and shopping vendors were vibrant with colors as well as murals created by probably local artists in tow.  Walking around I was taken aback by the town’s devotion to its culture and heritage with many of it’s early structures still in tact. Almost every structure had a plaques commemorating its importance to the identity of the city and how it is still being used today.  After spending a majority of a day int the city, I didn’t want to leave. The sheer accepting culture of the structures and the people showed why this town was truly a tourist town.  I cant wait to return to this town in the future.