Digital Built Environment Description

My digital built environment description is on the website http://www.atlantarollergirls.com. This website was unique to me because I did not know anything about this organization until I visited the website. The Atlanta Rollergirls, a founding member of the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA), took shape in November 2004.

roller

The woman’s flat hat track derby association is the international governing body for the sport of women’s flat track roller derby, and a membership organization for leagues to collaborate and network. The mission of the WFTDA is to support sportsmanship, athletic ability, and goodwill among member leagues.

WFTDAA

The way the website is setup with a home page with a bunch of subcategories. The sub-categories are the blog section, the about page, the schedule, the team, the shopping site, training, recruitment, sponsors, media, and contact. Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 2.56.20 PM

The websites main colors are black and red, which are also the same colors of the team. Also, most sports teams in Atlanta also wear red such as the Falcons, Braves and even the new upcoming soccer team Atlanta united. Most of the front page is focused on advertising events. The Atlanta Rollergirls are still an upcoming team and are trying to recruit more and more people every single day.

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 2.58.51 PM

The Rollergirls are on multiple social media apps such as facebook, twitter, and Youtube. There is no doubt that the population of people that are interested in Rollergirls is growing. The Rollergirls have almost 8000 followers on twitter, almost 19,000 likes on facebook, and 500 subscribers on youtube.

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 3.41.06 PM

Because I am not a female and cannot really look into any of the other things on the page such as training, events, etc. I decided to keep my focus on the first sub-category, the blog.

The blog on this website is not like most blogs you see nowadays that people read. Most blogs usually share advice, personal experiences, or events that they would like to share with the world. However on this blog, I felt as if I was reading a background story about different Rollergirls and the key roles they play to make Rollergirls a successful sport. Rollergirls are accepting to anybody no matter what your disabilities or capabilities are.  On the most recent blog there is a post about a woman who is nicknamed “Hurtie Gertie” who is a medical editors for a medical communications company that specializes in oncology/hematology. Besides talking about herself, the blog post highlights things such as daily activities and accomplishments.

In conclusion, the Atlanta Rollergirls is a great idea and is going to revolutionize women’s sports in years to come. However, their website set-up is quite confusing and I am still confused about the actual sport itself. For future goals, the Rollergirls should focus on adding rulebooks, gameplay footage, and workout plans. Until the Rollergirls do this, I cannot consider them an actual team sport because they seem to be only focused on recruitment and donations. However, the Rollergirls have a lot of support and donations coming through from many people all over the state, and I believe it will be a popular sport in the near future.