Urban Community Design

Art structure on BeltLine pathway

Art structure on BeltLine pathway

The BeltLine is an example of an urban community design that creates the opportunity for Atlanta neighborhoods to come together and be a part of what is going on in Atlanta. The different forms of art and activities pull the attention of the residents and increases their involvement. When I visited the BetLine, there were people walking, jogging, biking, playing in the park, etc. You can tell that the art and the structure of the BeltLine influences the behavior of everyone that is in the neighborhood. The murals, photographs and interactive art attracts people which makes them want to stay in the area. The built path leads them to other aspects of the BeltLine which causes them to include part of their selves in the growth of the community. They take pictures, watch street artists, and donate to organizations who speak to everyone who goes by. Once they see all the things that are available, they engage in buying resources like renting bikes or purchasing food, which help the economic growth of the BeltLine project. I rented a bike for $10 dollars with a two hour riding limit. I was allowed to ride through a portion of the BeltLine path while witnessing the relationship between the community and environment first hand. By staying on the path, I stopped at the Ponce City Market, a smoothie shop, and watched a guy perform one of my favorite songs acapella which I told my friend about. It was an experience that made me want to go back to the trail and explore even more of the pah.

Mural near BeltLine (click for source)

Mural near BeltLine (click for source)

The Atlanta BeltLine is a place that is forming its own culture and changing the interaction and network of multiple neighborhoods.  A place can affect the environment by building character and there are beneficial exchanges that happen when the importance of the location is valued and used. Smiley, Rushing, Scott (2014) explains that, “Place denotes how mutually reinforcing features such as ‘geographic location’, ‘material form’, and ‘investment with meaning and value’ serve as‘. not merely a setting or backdrop, but an agentic player in the game.’”  Environment, culture, and interaction of residents intertwine on the BeltLine by collecting the Atlantans and giving them a way to be a part of enhancing the value of the city. By structuring the path in a way to lead people to the work of artists or the presence of businesses creates a unique atmosphere. The urban environment with a big traffic flow helps the community continue to thrive.