Conquering the Fear of the Unknown: Atlanta Underground

Atlanta Underground Sign

Atlanta Underground Sign

Statue at Underground Atlanta

Statue at Underground Atlanta

Atlanta’s Underground is one of the most distinguished shopping and entertainment districts in Georgia. It’s not the diverse shopping vendors or the fine dining that sets it apart from the rest. Its the unique architectural structure that fascinates the imagination of all tourist. As a child touring the facility, I wanted no part of the underground area. Therefore, I was limited to only touring the top level.

Top-Level of Underground

Top-Level of Underground

I wondered if it was dark down there or what would happen if the walls caved in. Now that I have a new residential address on the campus of GSU and I am within walking distance, I set out to search for the answers.

Stairway to Underground Atlanta

Stairway to Underground Atlanta

An accordion of stairs led me to the underground level. An  accordion of stairs led me to the underground level. Every step that I took made me realize how much I had grown from a child who was afraid to enter the “dark cave” to a college student ready to explore the “city beneath the streets.” I yanked out my camera to capture every surprising moment.

There it was, the other side of everything that I had missed. The lighting was not good but the dimness added a unique feel to the rustic-like look. It was almost like a moment in time. There were brief history lessons framed in glass cases. Though the underground structure seemed to be complicated, it was all explained in one display.

Brief History of Underground Atlanta

Brief History of Underground Atlanta

Train Display at Underground Atlanta

Train Display at Underground Atlanta

Understanding the history gave meaning to the animated train display. The underground was once a railroad freight depot. As I studied the displays, I admired the fearless child’s reaction as her parents eagerly explained the significance of the underground structure. I realized that everyone’s purpose for visiting Atlanta’s Underground was unique.

I stood back and attempted to figure out exactly what it was that drew each visitor to the underground. The visitants came from all walks of life. There were the young, the old, the shopper, the diner, and of course the curious. Most people refused to go on camera but they expressed an appreciation for the selection of shopping and entertainment that the district offered. Others openly talked about their experiences.

As I rode the escalator to the upper level, I couldn’t help but wonder if I had missed anything as a child. Was Underground Atlanta what it had cracked up to be? I was leaving with my anticipation unfulfilled.  Is it dark down there? Yes, however, there is a little natural light from the opening of the top floors. The vendors’ displays also provide lighting. Could the walls cave in? I don’t think that they could because the underground structure is framed and there are concrete insulated walls.  Although my enthusiasm was curbed, I was able to face my fears and satisfy my wonders. Each Atlanta Underground experience is in the eyes of the visitor.