Mid-term Reflection

How has your understanding of the composition process evolved?

• Is the academic writing process we are working through in this class different from how you have learned to write and do research in the past? How is it similar? How is it different?
    • The academic writing process we are working through in this class is extremely different from how I have learned to write and do research in the past. In this class, we are encouraged to incorporate images and different modalities of portraying information. In my previous research/language courses, the use of images and/or any other modality of writing was frowned upon. The basis of my previous classes was traditional research which was very mundane and did not hold my interest for a longer period of time. Learning that there are various ways of doing my research that are more interactive has increased my passion for research and has coincidentally helped me rediscover my passion for photography.
  • Now that you have worked through the first reading summaries, annotated bibliography entries, and built environment description, what have you learned about the relationship between primary and secondary research, and between research and writing? How do you plan to apply what you’ve learned to the remaining reading summaries, annotated bibliography entries, and built environment descriptions?
    • I plan to apply what I’ve learned throughout these past six week in various ways. I truly do love writing, and I am going to work on incorporating different modalities. As aforementioned, photography has changed my life and has allowed me to express myself creatively even more than words have at times. I am going to utilize this passion to fuel my writing and create a more comfortable creative space for myself.
  • What is the rhetorical situation for the compositions you are creating in this class? Who is the audience for your reading summaries, annotated bibliography entries, and built environment descriptions? How do you think your peers or other people outside of this class might make use of the information you are posting in these assignments?
    • My audience (the general public) and the peers outside of this class might make use of the information I am posting in my assignments by using it to further their research. Also, many of the descriptions and also the analysis might serve as inspiration to explore Atlanta more.
  • How is writing and composition using a blog different from the writing and composition you’ve done in the past? How has the integration of multimodality influenced your writing?
    • The writing and composition I have been utilizing using a blog differs tremendously from how I have previously written and composed. My previous writing has been extremely plain and traditional. There was only one modality: words on paper. The integration of multimodality has allowed me to spread my wings more as a writer and has given me the space to be more creative in my writing and in my life.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of your work so far?

• Now that you’ve received some feedback on your work from me and possibly in class workshop or peer review, what do you think your strengths are as a writer? What aspect of your writing do you want to work on?
    • My strengths and weakness as a writer tend to be one and the same. I am extremely eloquent in what I want to convey, but I tend to be too wordy at times. I plan to work on being more direct as far as the diction and the length of my research.
  • What extra points activities (study groups, office hours visits, quizzes, extra drafts, etc.) have you done in addition to the required projects (Reading Summaries 1&2, Annotated Bibliography Entries 1-3, and Built Environment Description 1: Exterior)? What has been most helpful to you?
    • The extra points activities that I have done in addition to the required projects are office hours visits, quizzes, and posting technology tutorials for when I figure out something within the blog that confused me in the beginning.  The activities that have been most helpful to me were definitely the office hours and the quizzes taken from reading Writer’s Help 2.0.
  • Are you satisfied with the effort you’ve put into the class so far? Are there aspects of your class participation that you plan to change in order to get more out of the class and improve your work?
    • I am somewhat satisfied with the effort I have put into this class. As far as my participation in the class, I plan to change when I start the projects to be able to turn them in earlier so I can receive feedback.

How are you going to apply what you’ve learned to future projects and your work in this course?

• Will you change your approach to the remaining reading summaries, annotated bibliography entries, and built environment descriptions based on what you’ve learned, and if so, how? This could be anything from starting earlier to give yourself more time to revise to specific strategies for integrating multimodality or design into your posts.
    • I will be tweaking my approach to the reading work left in the class but allotting myself more time to start and work on the assignments. I also plan to dive deeper into my photography and to use these photographs as my words.
  • What extra points activities will you try to incorporate into your process for doing the work of this class? Why? How do you think the activities you’ve chosen will help you improve as a writer?
    • I will try to incorporate more Writer’s Help 2.0 quizzes and more office hours visits to help clarify minuscule things that actually end up making a world of difference as far as my writing and understanding of the course go.

0 comments