Legionella pneumophila

https://cddep.org/blog/posts/weekly_digest_cdc_urges_infection_control_collaboration_legionnaires_outbreak_nyc/legionella_pneumophila_sem_2/

Name: Legionella pneumophila 

Common Name: Legionnaires‘ Disease

Genus: Coxiella

Found: Naturally in lakes or streams

Properties: Water-loving 

I chose the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) museum as my site. I chose this site because it hosts a variety of exhibitions that focus on public health topics such as diseases caused by bacteria and viruses. This was my first time visiting the CDC museum and I was actually pretty impressed. I saw a lot of things like the electron microscope (it was so cool!), exhibitions explaining bacterial and viral infections, safe water containers, and even human quarantines for astronauts during the Apollo 11 moon mission. I spent a lot of time wandering around and going everywhere my curiosity leads me. The picture above is a collection of some photos I took during my visit there. The fluorescent antibodies exhibition was very interesting to me because it was a simple process that allows us to see microorganisms. My favorite exhibit was the electron microscope. I’ve never seen one in real life and was not expecting it to look like that. The electron microscope was invented in the early 1900’s where technology wasn’t as advanced as today, but it still looks pretty sophisticated! Keep reading to see me standing next to it 😏.

There were many microbes to choose from at the CDC, but this one caught my attention the most- Legionella pneumophilaL.pneumophila causes Legionnaires’ disease which is a form of atypical pneumonia. An outbreak occurred in Philadelphia, PA in 1976 that nobody could figure out. It was known as mystery illness, killer fever, and Philly killer. The CDC was contacted for help identifying the mystery bacteria so a team was dispatched to collect samples and personal items. The CDC is VERY thorough in it’s investigation as they go through EVERYTHING including hats and cigarettes. Unfortunately, even the CDC couldn’t crack down the mystery killer. It wasn’t until months later that the culprit behind the outbreak was found by a CDC microbiologist, Dr. Joseph McDade, when he decided to reopen the case. He isolated L.pneumophila and concluded how the outbreak happened and where it originated from. The bacteria was thought to be in the Bellevue-Stratford hotel’s air conditioning system. This leaves me to say don’t ever quit anything you’re working on. Good things come to those who believe, better things come to those who are patient, and the best things come to those who don’t give up. 

The reason I chose this was not because of its backstory, which is really interesting, but because of how it was solved. I was walking by looking at everything in the museum and I see a panel that says “CDC SOLVES THE MYSTERY” and there were multiple exhibits on display showcasing the work done by the CDC scientists. I started looking at all this before even knowing what the disease was. It was so cool to see how they mapped out everything on blueprints, isolated water samples, collected personal items of infected people, and even had a complete history of every patients symptoms after the onset of the infection. 

This is a list of some of the infected patients with a complete review of symptoms of each and every patient. Very good job CDC!

These are a bunch of random pictures of me at the CDC checking this exhibit out. For some odd reason, I was so fascinated by the water sample they collected. The maps were easy to follow and read. The CDC did a fantastic job solving this “mystery” outbreak. 

As promised, here is a picture of the electron microscope! Very sophisticated looking machinery considering its made in the early 1900’s. Mind-blowing. 

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! Check out my future blog posts for more information about Legionella pneumophila including structure, life cycle, and much more!

https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/fastfacts.html

3 thoughts on “Legionella pneumophila

1. Sounds like you had a great time at the museum. I know for this disease to grow they need a specific buffered charcoal yeast extract agar. It’s really cool how this disease infects a separate protozoa cell and then is inhaled to cause this deadly disease.