Department of Economics
Andrew Young School of Policy Studies
Georgia State University
404 413 0159 (office)
336 554 1390 (mobile)
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3992
Atlanta, GA 30302-3992
Suite 436, AYS
14 Marietta Street
Atlanta, GA 30302
- “Research Grants Crowding Out and Crowding In Donations to Higher Education.” (with Grant Gannaway and Michael Price). Conditionally Accepted, Education Finance and Policy.
- “Unemployment, Labor Mobility, and Climate Policy” (with Kenneth Castellanos). NBER Working Paper # 25797. Revise and Resubmit, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- “Solar Geoengineering, Learning, and Experimentation.” (with David Kelly, Juan Moreno-Cruz, and Soheil Shayegh). NBER Working Paper #28442. Revise and Resubmit, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- “Behavioral Economics and the Evidential Defense of Welfare Economics.” Revise and Resubmit, Social Choice and Welfare.
- “Pollution and Unemployment over the Business Cycle.” (with John Gibson). NBER Working Paper #27445. Under Review
- “Climate Policy, Financial Frictions, and Transition Risk.” (with Stefano Carattini and Givi Melkadze). NBER Working Paper #28525. Under Review.
- “Climate Policy and the Macroeconomy.”
- “Business Cycles and Environmental Policy: A Primer.” (with Barbara Annicchiarico, Stefano Carattini, and Carolyn Fischer). in Environmental and Energy Policy and the Economy, Volume 3, eds. Kotchen, Matthew, Tatyana Deryugina, and James Stock, University of Chicago Press (2022): 221-253.
- “Efficiency Wages, Unemployment, and Environmental Policy” (with Xin Zhang). Energy Economics, Vol. 104 (December 2021).
- “Social Science Research to Inform Solar Geoengineering.” (with Joseph E. Aldy, Tyler Felgenhauer, William A. Pizer, Massimo Tavoni, Mariia Belaia, Mark E. Borsuk, Arunabha Ghosh, Daniel Heyen, Joshua Horton, David Keith, Christine Merk, Juan Moreno-Cruz, Jesse L. Reynolds, Katharine Ricke, Wilfried Rickels, Soheil Shayegh, Wake Smith, Simone Tilmes, Gernot Wagner, And Jonathan B. Wiener) Science 374, no. 6569 (November 11, 2021): 815-818.
- “Regulating Geoengineering: International Competition and Cooperation.” (with Juan Moreno-Cruz and Soheil Shayegh). in Climate Geoengineering: Science, Law, and Governance, AESS Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies and Sciences Series, eds. Burns, Wil, David Dana, and Simon James Nicholson, Springer (2021): 229-247.
- “Adaptation and the Mortality Effects of Temperature across US Climate Regions.” (with Nolan Miller and David Molitor). Review of Economics and Statistics. Vol. 103, No. 4 (October 2021), 740-753.
- “Bankability and Information in Pollution Policy.” Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Vol. 7, No. 4 (July 2020), 779-799.
- “The Mortality and Medical Costs of Air Pollution: Evidence from Changes in Wind Direction.” (with Tatyana Deryugina, Nolan Miller, David Molitor, and Julian Reif). American Economic Review, Vol. 109, No. 12 (December 2019), 4178-4219.
- iHEA’s Kenneth J. Arrow Award for best paper in health economics, 2019
- “An Analysis of Black Greek-letter Organization Philanthropy.” (with Koren Hardy, Mackenzie Slater, and Gregory S. Parks). Oracle Research Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2 (Winter 2019), 1-19.
- “Prospect Theory and Energy Efficiency.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management Vol. 96 (July 2019), 236-254.
- “School Bus Emissions, Academic Performance, and Student Health.” (with Wes Austin and Daniel Kreisman). Economics of Education Review Vol. 70 (June 2019), 109-126.
- “Solar Geoengineering, Uncertainty, and the Price of Carbon.” (with Juan Moreno-Cruz and Soheil Shayegh). Journal of Environmental Economics and Management Vol 87 (January 2018), 24-41.
- “Time Preferences and Consumer Behavior.” (with David Bradford, Charles Courtemanche, Patrick McAlvanah, and Christopher Ruhm). Journal of Risk and Uncertainty Vol 55 (December 2017), 119-145.
- “Climate Tipping Points and Solar Geoengineering.” (with Juan Moreno-Cruz and Soheil Shayegh). Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization Vol. 132, Part B (December 2016), 19-45.
- “Climate Engineering Economics.” (with Juan Moreno-Cruz and Katherine Ricke), Annual Review of Resource Economics, Vol. 8 (October 2016), 99-118.
- “Air Pollution and Procyclical Mortality.” (with Christopher Ruhm). Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists Vol. 3, No. 3 (September 2016), 667-706.
- “Incidence, Environmental, and Welfare Effects of Distortionary Subsidies.” (with David L. Kelly). Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Vol. 3, No. 2 (June 2016), 361-415.
- “Consumer Learning and Hybrid Vehicle Adoption.” (with Erich Muehlegger). Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 62, No. 1 (September 2015), 125-161
- Award for Outstanding Publication in ERE, 2015, Honorable Mention
- “Optimal Policy Instruments for Externality-Producing Durable Goods under Present Bias.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 72 (July 2015), 54-70.
- “Impatience, Incentives, and Obesity.” (with Charles Courtemanche and Patrick McAlvanah). The Economic Journal, Vol. 125, No. 582 (February 2015), 1-31.
- “The Investment Returns of Nonprofit Organizations: Part I, Tales from 990 Forms.” (with Richard Zeckhauser). Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Vol. 25, No. 1 (Fall 2014), 41-57.
- “The Investment Returns of Nonprofit Organizations: Part II, The Value of Focused Attention.” (with Richard Zeckhauser). Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Vol. 25, No. 1 (Fall 2014), 59-75.
- “Subsidies.” In J. Whitehead, T. Haab (eds), Environmental and Natural Resource Economics: An Encyclopedia, Greenwood (March 2014).
- “Crowding Out and Crowding In of Private Donations and Government Grants.” Public Finance Review, Vol. 42, No. 2 (March 2014), 143-175.
- Outstanding Paper Award, PFR, 2014.
- Online Appendix
- NBER Working Paper version
- “Environmental Macroeconomics: Environmental Policy, Business Cycles, and Directed Technical Change.” (with Carolyn Fischer). Annual Review of Resource Economics, Vol. 5 (November 2013), 197-210.
- “How Should Environmental Policy Respond to Business Cycles? Optimal Policy under Persistent Productivity Shocks.” Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 15, No. 2 (April 2012), 244-264.
- “Does the Indexing of Government Transfers Make Carbon Pricing Progressive?” (with Don Fullerton and Gilbert Metcalf). American Journal of Agricultural Economics (Proceedings) Vol. 94, No. 2 (January 2012), 347-353.
- “Plant Vintages, Grandfathering, and Environmental Policy.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 61, No. 1 (January 2011), 36-51.
- Ralph C. d’Arge and Allen V. Kneese Award for Outstanding Publication in JEEM, 2011.
- “Analytical General Equilibrium Effects of Energy Policy on Output and Factor Prices.” (with Don Fullerton) B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Symposium), Vol. 10, No. 2, (2010), Article 15.
- Reprinted in M. Cohen, D. Fullerton, R. Topel (eds.), Distributional Aspects of Energy and Climate Policies, Edward Elgar (2013).
- “The General Equilibrium Incidence of Environmental Mandates.” (with Don Fullerton) American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Vol. 2, No. 3 (August 2010), 64-89.
- “Testing Implications of a Tournament Model of School District Salary Schedules.” Economics of Education Review, Vol. 28, No. 1 (February 2009), 143-151.
- “Environmental and Social Service Charities: Private and Public Sources of Funding.” Proceedings of the National Tax Association 100th Annual Conference on Taxation (2007), 250-259.
- “Who Bears the Burden of a Tax on Carbon Emissions in Japan?” (with Don Fullerton), Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Vol. 8, No. 4 (2007), 255-270.
- “The General Equilibrium Incidence of Environmental Taxes.” (with Don Fullerton), Journal of Public Economics, Vol. 91, No. 3-4 (April 2007), 571-591.
- Reprinted in D. Fullerton (ed.), Distributional Effects of Environmental and Energy Policy, Ashgate Publishing, (2009).