AP Art Senior Year

In recent times there has been a racial divide in the “melting pot” that is America. The degree of this divide stretches from the use of hashtags like #teamlightskin/darkskin to police brutality and public hazing. In volatile times such as now it is important for all of us to stand united as one. We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools (MLK Jr.). I wanted to capture that sense of camaraderie and unity through my art.
The struggles of racial divide are most evident in the youth of our nation. This series of pieces is composed largely of teenage students from various backgrounds. In order to embody the concept of unity I had all of my subject pose in similar poses (ex. 2-4, 6-8,10-11). The position of the hands is to make it seem like they are offering you something. Scattered through put my concentration I included words to help guide you (ex. 1, 5, 9, 12). The red and white roses in image number 9 represent unity and togetherness, with the white roses by themselves mean purity and the red roses meaning love and passion. This is to show that there is unity when we can all love each other purely. The first (ex.2) and last(ex.3) images of people are shown to have slit wrist to show that regardless of skin tone we all carry the same red blood, within us.
(From AP Essay Questions)