Reading Summary 5

In this article, written by Phia Bennin and Brendan McMullan, talks about how focusing a certain color can help us focus more. When we pick a color to focus on, we start to see it everywhere and in everything. The reason for this is because were focusing on one specific type of color alerting our brain to keep a look out for that certain color or shade. Our brain works in mysterious ways, and one mysterious thing it does is carry out the commands our thoughts give it. He explained how he went on a color walk, picked a color, then the color he chose started to pop out at him. This is no coincidence, if I think about the color pink I’m all of a sudden going to start seeing it and when I am noticing it my brain is sending out alerts that that something is what I’m looking for. Just like looking for something with your eyes, your brain has a task to find it so you’re not just looking at everything but concentrating one a particular object. The goal of the experiment was to think creatively and without barrier, helping students unwind and relax. The person responsible for creating this experiment was William Burroughs. He intended for it to take one’s mind on an adventure to help them relax. They also explained that after the experiment, students saw the world as a more vibrant place through looking at the world via different colors. Anyone who is interested in trying this experiment is advised to get some free time where you have nothing to do or any obligations to fill. Pick a color and focus on one that makes you feel really happy, most likely your favorite color or a bright color that will most likely brighten your mood. Not only did they notice the colors and how they related to the environment around them but the world came together through the colors, they were better able to connect things and relate them together. This experiment is great for getting lost in relaxation and forgetting about all the complicated things that may be going on in your life.