Built Environment Description of Phipps Plaza (Interior)

Phipps Plaza was opened in 1969. It’s target customer are the rich and wealthy customers that mostly reside in Buckhead and other rich people from various countries touring America or Atlanta specifically.  Phipps was described as a relaxed upscale shopping experience by most who pay it a visit, another person had described the place as a “high end fashion model’s dream”. There are lots of hidden messages I found when visiting this mall. One is that the middle class and poor aren’t really welcomed. I partially got this notion from all the designer stores in the mall. To be able to afford some of the simplest clothes in Phipps, you at least have to own a house. These are not specific requirements, however, if you can afford a house you might be in the income range to shop here. Even Lenox has stores the middle class can afford like Forever 21, Wet Seal, and Victoria Secret. Phipps Plaza is full of designer stores who meet the needs of their rich clients who add to the malls revenue. I went in a store called Naturals while observing the mall. The salesman in the store tried to sell my friend and I expensive salt scrubs claimed to be from Israel. I started asked him if there was an H&M, Forever 21 or any store of that nature in the mall and he replied “Oh NO honey! This is Phipps!” Right then, I understood the reputation Phipps holds throughout Atlanta, Georgia and the rests of the country. It truly is a mall catered to the famous and wealthy people. With waterfalls, couch chairs, neutral colors, a chandelier, and lost more bright lighting throughout the shopping center, Phipps definitely wheels in the high end customers who are familiar with luxury and class.