Alias Grace – Quote

“The truth is that very few understand the truth about forgiveness. It is not the culprits who need to be forgiven; rather it is the victims, because they are the ones who cause all the trouble.”

I felt like this quote was too important not to be mentioned. When I first read this part, I was, for lack of a better word, horrified. Grace basically says that the victims should be quiet and just take it. This notion of having to forgive the victims because it is they that “cause all the trouble”, is horrifying to me. If these victims don’t cause trouble, if they don’t raise their voices and speak out, then they could suffer over and and over again. Grace is also a victim, throughout the book, there are many points where it is implied that she gets assaulted, by the guards, the doctors, and she pushes it off as a dream. This quote brought Grace’s character in perspective to me. She’s been victimized all her life and has now come to see it as causing trouble for others when she is in trouble herself.