French Scene List

While I was working on my undergraduate degree, I took a class called Play Analysis (THEA 3100), taught by Dr. Frank Miller. This class was a requirement for theater majors; both performance studies and production and design. This class taught us, as the name suggests, how to analyze a play. We learned how to develop production concepts, design concepts, and French Scene lists, among other things. I remember working on the plays that were homework assignments and thinking to myself, “This is pretty cool. I didn’t realize how much research and planning went into mounting a stage production. I can’t wait to be doing this for a show I’m directing.” Well, the bachelors degree has been completed and I’m using the skills I acquired in that class to complete an internship for my masters degree.

For those who don’t know, in French plays any time a character makes an entrance or an exit, that is considered a scene. It doesn’t matter how much or how little dialog takes place. It also doesn’t matter if a character is entering or exiting while another character is making a speech. If character A enters the scene while character B is speaking, that is a new French scene.

Using French scenes enables directors to create a spreadsheet that shows every time a character appears on stage. This is helpful because the director can determine whether or not a single actor can play multiple characters. S/he can see which characters are never on stage at the same time and can elect to have one actor play both roles simply by referring to the French scene list. Similarly, the French scene list can help the director with scheduling rehearsals in the same way s/he decides whether or not double-casting is possible. Another benefit of the French scene list is that it can also help the designers; props, scene, and costumes, know what is needed from each of their departments in a form standard to what the director is using.

I’ve included the French scene list I’ve created for “Everyman” if you’re curious as to what one looks like.

Everyman – French Scene List

0 comments