Somebody get me a (zero-proof) drink!

If I’m being completely honest, I hate how central alcohol is to the social lives and activities for adults. Even though I don’t particularly enjoy alcohol, and I feel no motivation or pressure to drink if someone is trying to persuade me to do it, I still find myself in situations where I’m definitely at a disadvantage if I don’t want to drink alcohol. I’m mostly past the days where my friend group legitimately wants to stay out until 4am, in loud clubs, and be blackout drunk, where I would have to choose between FOMO or being exhausted and miserable, but I’m still in situations very regularly where everyone wants to drink.

We’ve moved into lower key fun activities– like hanging at chill (quiet) bars with food and games, or going out for fancy craft cocktails and overpriced appetizers. This is definitely less unpleasant than clubbing and doing shots, but I have always wished there were equally exciting, ‘craft’ non-alcoholic drinks at these places. My only options are regular soda, and water -__-. Well look no further, Brianna– sober curiosity has started a movement of exactly that.

• As a brief note, I have an issue with the above linked article, and the linguistic concept of being ‘sober curious’. It appropriates and trivializes meaningful language and concepts from the LGBTQ+ community. Check out this article on appropriation of queer culture. Commandeering our vocabulary (like “‘coming out’ as sober”) for the trendiness of it feels thoughtless and inconsiderate of the daily struggles that queer people face for their identities. 

HOWEVER–I am very happy about some of the results of this movement! More and more establishments are offering exciting and unique drinks, just without the alcohol. This gives abstainers the option all the fun of going out for fancy cocktails without the liver damage! The social exclusion of ‘not drinking’ could be substantially diminished if you are drinking something just as (or more) exciting as your friends. The opportunities for creativity going into these spirit-free drinks holds significant potential for making them cool. If the popularity of craft, non-alcoholic, drinks spreads, more establishments will add them to their menus, and customer demand for uniqueness will increase. This could lead alcohol companies to join that market and put more time and effort into manufacturing the types of non-alcoholic ingredients and drinks people are demanding.

I can say without hesitation that if my local liquor store started selling stuff like fresh mint leaves, rosewater, lavender infused soymilk, and whatever other wild things they come up with… I would buy it over alcohol. Alcohol tastes bad and it’s expensive :(. I often look at a drink menu and wish I could order the drink without the alcohol– I mean look at this stuff! Somebody please make me a drink out of chocolate mousse and raspberry puree! 

This sober curious initiative could make sobriety much gentler on people’s social lives. Actually be excited to get drinks at the bar? I’m in, and already making plans to try all these drinks.