Chapter 1: Discovering the microorganism

The Georgia Aquarium is a place to learn about a vast amount of species from small protozoa to different carnivores that vary in size. There are many exhibits of different animals categorized by where they are from. For my site visit, I decided to go to the aquarium. I am currently taking a marine biology class that has sparked my interest in learning about marine animals and how they interact with other animals and their environments. There were many animals that I saw there ranging from kelp to whale sharks. When I first entered, my heart began to race from the excitement of visiting the aquarium again and seeing if I could identify the organisms in the exhibitions. Throughout my visit, I looked throughout the aquarium identifying species and looking at the interactions they had. I saw piranhas being feed and sea lions performing tricks with their trainers.

The microorganism I decided to study is kelp. I choose this because when I came up to the kelp tank, I got to see how different organisms were fishing around and no one was worried about predation from the other.  The whole idea of kelp has been interesting ever since I learned about it in marine biology and how it creates its own ecosystem. The kelp looked like a green leafy tree in a tank. The genus that kelp belongs to is Macrocystis. Stay tuned for next week’s post which will dive right into the concept of kelp and characteristics of them! 

One Response

1. ecollins14 at |

A very interesting microbe to study! Rather topical as well, as it was discussed in this weeks lecture. Did you know that kelp was a colony of single celled organisms prior to your site visit and research? I personally thought it was just a type of plant that grew under water until recently. How big was the kelp that you observed?

Reply