Leaving UCD

For the past two weeks, I have called University College Dublin home. It has been a comfortable place—one of learning, making new friends, and resting from long days around Dublin and the surrounding areas. We all had our own rooms, but we shared a kitchen and living space. Often, I would find someone in one of the chair eating porridge or by the counter making a much-needed cup of coffee. Other times, I might would find someone reading or getting ready to teach a lesson to the rest of the class. It became a comfortable place for me. My room became a place for me to escape to recharge from the expense of social activity. More specifically, over the past few days, my room has become a place where I can rest to try to get over an Irish cold (not really sure how that descriptor might change the meaning).

The common area became a place where we could share about our day. Sara and Kristen told us all about their travels to Sandcove and their remapping of Bloomsday. I would tell others about events that happened when they weren’t around. Whether secluded in my private room or in the common area, our flat at UCD became a safe space. UCD has a beautiful campus. Much of our time was spent traveling to Dublin or meeting in our classroom, but one day we had a chance to spend the whole day on campus. We had lunch on the lawn, served by a handful of food trucks. Then we headed to see a couple of dramatic performances—“Strolling Through Ulysses” and “The Lime Tree Bower.” Both were professional and moving for me.

UCD