Following the Brick Roads

It was our last full day in Dublin–a rainy, dim day with strong gusts of wind. The Chester Beatty exhibitions gave us a brief shelter from the rain and wind. Outside the Chester Beatty Library, we encountered some beautiful gardens with elaborate flowers and hedges. The middle lawn area had converging concentric lines of brick pathways. I watched as about half the class wandered in the garden lawn, following the brick lines step by step. Observing their progression through the gardens, I started to think of our own trek around Dublin and reflect on our steps through the city. We wandered around the streets in a single file line or sometimes in pairs, experiencing Dublin and creating our own memories.

Throughout our excursions through the streets of Dublin, we have been following Google Maps, tourist maps, tour guides, local recommendations, each other, and bus/rail lines. Like following the bricks lines in Chester Beatty gardens, we have mirrored the footsteps of past memories, historic events, and literary imaginations. These conceptions of place have shaped our directions and footpaths through the city, influencing what we see and where we go.

I’m interested to see what we will experience and where we will go in Belfast. What paths will we follow? How will they shape our conceptions of the Irish culture? As my solo-trip to Scotland approaches, I’m getting excited about making my own experiences and memories; I wonder what paths I will follow and where my travels will take me. It will be an adventure!image