Seeing vs Knowing

image

Our time in Dublin is coming to an end, and I have to say that I am sad about it. Earlier, I wrote about moving in to my room and making a temporary home here. Now it is time to pack up all of the items I put on display, and to take down and fold all of the clothes I had so carefully hung up. Yesterday we spent the day on UCD campus, and then a few of us went to Sandycove for dinner. Just as I was feeling like I was getting the hang of this city, I realized that there is so much more to see! Spending additional time on campus yesterday, I was struck by all the things I hadn’t done. At the beginning of out trip, I was so sure that I would get to everything, and despite running on fumes, I failed to do that. I felt similarly about Sandycove. Kristin and I had gone here on our Bloomsday adventures, and I thought we had seen most of it. This time, however, we accidentally walked out of the train station in the opposite direction, and what an advantageous mistake that was! We discovered some amazing restaurants and a beautiful beach and pier. Although I am very much missing my loved ones at home, I am also sorry to be leaving Dublin so soon. Part of me wants to come back as soon as possible, but I also know there is a great wide world out there just waiting to be explored.
I have had many opportunities to travel, but I have rarely stayed for very long. I have visited many places but have known very few. With one short life to live and a world to see, I wonder which is better.