Annotated Bibliography: 4, 5, 6

Lighting Research & Technology. May2015, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p301-315. 15p. 2 Black and White Photographs, 2 Diagrams, 5 Charts, 1 Graph.

The various authors of this article highlight the effect of outdoor light on judgement and emotion. There was an experiment held where various aspects were tested from facial expressions to reaction time. In the findings of the equation the subjects responded much better when there were good lighting verses when there was ok or low lighting. This is a credible source that is organized in a way that makes it easier for the reader to understand the complex experiment. The various charts and graphs help the reader understand the qualitative data and the pictures help the reader understand the quantitative data. I chose this source because I wanted to see the effect of lighting on a built environment. This article focuses on the exterior environment which will correspond well with the interior build environment. In my other research that I have done so for I have focused on color but realized that color and lighting tie hand and hand. I will do more research on lighting in the coming annotated biography’s.

A picture of a garden in the evening. The mood that a person feels in the same place at 6 in the evening vs 8 in the morning will vary.

Lighting Research & Technology. Apr2015, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p192-209. 18p. 1 Color Photograph, 5 Charts, 4 Graphs.

The article focuses on how varied lightening conditions can contribute to the productivity in the workforce. There was an experiment held to see how lighting effects affect visual perceptions which in turn affect mood, alertness, and comfort. The experiment shows that brighter light/ mornings can make subjects more alert than duller light/ evenings. The one picture and nine charts help the reader to better understand the dense text. Though this is a great source the text which is somewhat boring in very drawn out. The author should of just went straight to point, which would have made for an easier read. I chose this source for the same reason I chose source four which was on exterior lighting effects. The reason being is I have focused on color and recently realized that color and lighten go hand in hand. All in all, this is a well written article that does an effective job of explaining the experiment.

A bright office. According to the office the employees will be alert and in a good mood because of the light.
A bright office. According to the article the employees will be alert and in a good mood because of the light.

Exchange (19460406); Nov/Dec2015, Issue 226, p40-43, 4p

The article talks about how environmental factors affect children’s stress levels in classrooms. It focuses on temperature and physical space, but the most interesting effect is lighting. The thing that sets this article apart from others, that I have researched, is that it suggests that instead of brightening classrooms, classrooms should be at mid lighting. The author believes that “Too much lighting can cause overstimulation and distraction, while dim lighting can cause headaches”. This article is good in the fact that it is easy to read and is less dense then other readings like the source from my fifth annotated biography. Though good the article still has its flaws, a major one is that the article could of gave more scientific information to back its findings, instead of just simply stating the facts. This would have made the article seem more valid. I choose this article because I wanted to understand the effects of light in classrooms and other spaces, and it gave me a great understanding of just that.

This classroom is very bright. The article would suggest diming the lights a bit.