Shut Your Mouth and Move Your Feet:

Lessons Learned In Our Study Abroad Program at Fudan University

The wisdom of elders has been a constant positive force in my life, ALL OF MY LIFE. Fortunately I was a person who recognized the value of lessons learned from the elders in my life. That doesn’t mean I was always wise enough to heed their advice, but I recognized early on that I was blessed to have a lot of wisdom around me. During our trip here to Shanghai, I had the opportunity to participate in an interview with five women from the Songjang Community and quickly saw that wisdom was in the room. We were interviewing them about health attitudes, practices and beliefs in their community and when asked about how they take care of themselves and live healthy lives one of the women, Tu Qwu Me, a spry delightful women with a constant smile and infectious laugh, shared with us that she tells her family to live healthy you must “Shut Your Mouth and Move Your Feet.” That adage rang true for so many things we learned and did on this trip.

kim1

Public Health perspective– “Shut your mouth and move your feet” is good advice when you think about diet and exercise. This is the context in which Mrs. Me used the saying. She explained that her family complains about the healthier diet that she has adopted. In the way that only a mom can do I can imagine her dismissing her children’s complaints and telling them to get away from her as she continues to prepare the meal. However it also reinforces the fact that if we eat less and exercise more we can live healthier lives.

Shanghai Metro Perspective – In a city that moves what feels like tens of millions of people on their subway system, you have to “Shut up and Move Your Feet” to get on and off a subway train. As the subway was our primary mode of transportation for the last two weeks, we discovered early on that embarking and disembarking the train required us to throw all social etiquette out the window.

kim2

The pushing and shoving that results in the transition on and off the train leaves no room for casual conversation or a slow steady pace. If you are in the middle of a conversation with someone when the train arrives, you cut the discussion off mid-stream, ready yourself in your best linebacker stance and keep your feet moving until you get on the train.

Today was our final full day in Shanghai and we closed the program out with group presentations, a celebratory lunch and an evening of fellowship with friends and colleagues. I can honestly say that I am exceptionally proud of the seven Georgia State Students who participated in this inaugural educational and cultural exchange with 14 equally amazing students from Fudan University.

2 Responses