Adventure to Zhaojialou

Zhaojialou, a water village near Shanghai
An excursion to an ancient waterside town sounds like a great first adventure to have in Shanghai, which is exactly what it turned out to be. As we began our journey, I started to wonder how the town would look. Would it be similar to the upper class urban area around our hotel? Would the people look similar to the individuals that we passed in the streets of Shanghai? How would the food taste?
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
As I pondered these questions on the train and bus, I could see the cluster of tall buildings slowly diminish. I began to feel a calm come over me.

As we stepped off the bus and strolled along the dirt road, I could see the residents look in amazement. We managed to walk about one hundred feet before we saw a noodle shop. I noticed Arabic and Chinese on the sign of this small restaurant, which surprised me especially because Arabic is native to me.

As we sat and ordered, a man returning from Friday prayer put on his apron and began making the noodles from scratch. At this point I knew these noodles were going to be one of the best I have ever eaten, which I turned out to be right. I could taste the effort put into his true art form.

With our bellies beyond satisfied we ventured off to see what else this place filled with pleasant smiles and delicious food had to offer. Zhaojia Tower was absolutely beautiful. We sailed through the river on a small boat as we discussed the history of this serene town located in the suburbs of Shanghai.
A typical pagoda type structure in Zhaojialou (near Shanghai)
I thought about how urbanization had not yet deteriorated this picturesque place into endless concrete and tall buildings. The people were friendlier in this town than the residents of the city. It felt like a big community, more like a big family, where I was completely at ease.

The people here had not become consumed by technology, where they stared at their phone constantly, as those in the busy center of Shanghai. Children were playing, adults were chatting with one another, and the employees of the small businesses were selling hand made goods along with more delicious food. Although the town had not seen the same economic growth as the city, the people were in tune with the culture and the people that surrounded them. I felt at home.

5 Responses