To Buy or not to Buy? Advice from A Former Shopaholic

Woman making shopping decision

To be clear, I wasn’t a “shopaholic” to the point I would max out my cards and got into debt (thank God), but I was a shopaholic in the sense that I would sometimes overspend on the things I wanted. Over the years as I’ve matured, I’ve come to develop some useful advice for myself when shopping and want to share it with you. I feel as consumers, we’ve all asked ourselves whether something is worth buying. Even more annoying, I feel we all have purchased something then later regretted it. If you’re like me, you probably have something in your closet you’ve never worn, and it has been sitting in your closet for weeks, months or even years. Don’t feel too bad. I feel we’ve all been a victim of impulse shopping at least once in our life.

Even if your shopping habits are good, this article still offers advice and can help with decision making. I wanted to write this article to help you save your money and keep your closet or home from flooding with too much or unnecessary items.  

First things first, consult your budget. A responsible shopper always makes sure they have enough before purchasing a product. If you decide to make a purchase on a credit card, make sure you will set aside enough to be able to pay it back in the future.

Now that we got an idea of your budget, I’ve come up with some questions you can ask yourself before making a purchase.

1. Do I really need it?

Although the item sparks joy at first glance, you probably already have something similar or enough of it at home such as shirts, shoes or jewelry. Do you really need another?

1. Can I see myself using this item for 3-5 years or more?

Be honest with yourself. If you don’t see yourself having this item for a long time, its probably not worth it. Also remember, trends come and go quick.

1. Am I buying it just because it is on sale?

Who can resist a sale? There is nothing wrong with buying a discounted item. Even if you think you are getting an amazing deal, ask yourself: am I only buying it because its discounted? If it wasn’t on sale would you still want it?

1. Does this item compliment any other pieces in your home or wardrobe?

If the item does not, it’s probably best not to purchase it. It will not match your style or disrupt a certain theme in your home.

1. Is it worth it?

Even the littlest bit of doubt in the moment is a good chance you will probably regret buying it. From my experience, it is best to save your money. There is always something better. Another way to look at it is: would you rather have your money or something new?

These questions can apply to any purchase. Don’t get me wrong, I am a strong believer in self-care, and understand buying yourself something nice can be therapeutic. I believe a person should treat themselves every now and them if the budget allows. Try asking yourself these questions next time you shop, and I guarantee you will notice a difference.

1 Comment on To Buy or not to Buy? Advice from A Former Shopaholic

1. MBA in Dubai
    June 27, 2021 at 9:18 am (3 years ago)

Well structured article ever. Thank you for sharing.

Reply