What are the major projects? In a bulleted list, provide links to the project descriptions for each of them.
How will your final grade be calculated?
We receive points for everything that we turn in and by coming to class, and we lose points by not showing up to class and not turning in projects on time.
What is the “submission form” and how do you use it? Embed the form below your answer (hint: Google “embed Google form” to find out how).
The submission form is where we will be turning in all of our work.
Embed the course calendar and weekly overview below this question.
Where on the course website can you find an overview of what’s due and the readings for each unit?
The units overview
What is the best way to see an overview of what’s due each week?
The weekly overview
What is the attendance policy?
You earn points for coming to class and lose points for unexcused absences.
What are the two ways you can lose points?
Not coming to class or failing to turn in assignments
What are my office hours, and how do you make an appointment to see me outside of class?
T/TR 9-11am or by appointment
How do you earn participation credit? Provide a link to the instructions/guidelines for participation.
During the course of the semester I invite you to engage with the course material and assignments, with your peers and with your instructor, consistently and in inventive ways. I will assign points to your work reflecting the level of your participation both inside and outside of class. I will also subtract points for failing to participate (e.g., missing class) so as to fairly reflect your level of engagement with the course concepts. Your goal is to accrue as many points as possible during the semester.
How many points can you earn by participating in or organizing a study group session?
You can earn 20-50 points for participating in or organizing a study group session and writing up a reflection about what you did.
How can you be assured of earning an “A” in this course?
Once you complete all of the major projects, miss no more than four class meetings, and accrue 2,180 points, you will automatically receive an A in the course.
What are the minimum requirements for earning a passing grade of “C”?
What do you do if you’re not sure how to document your participation in order to earn points?
Stop by office hours or ask questions in class
What are the Unit 1 readings and what online tool are you using to annotate them for Reading Annotations 1&2?
- Wickman, C. (2014). Wicked Problems in Technical Communication. Journal Of Technical Writing & Communication, 44(1), 23-42.
- The New London Group (1996). A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures. Harvard Educational Review, 66(1) (PDF).
- Schryer, Catherine F. (1993). Records as Genre. Written Communication 10(2), 200-34.
- Albers, Michael J. (2005). The Future of Technical Communication. Technical Communication 52(3).
- Pullman, George and Baotong Gu (2007). “Guest Editors’ Introduction: Rationalizing and Rhetoricizing Content Management.” Technical Communication Quarterly 17.1, 1-9.
- Sullivan, Patricia (1989). Beyond a Narrow Conception of Usability Testing. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication 32(4).