Drone Flying

Hi Everyone,

I bought a drone quadcopter last week. The one I bought was an Ares Ethos FPC. It comes with a camera that shoots in HD mounted on the bottom of it. I am pleased with it so far. I’m really happy I got the economic quadcopter first before I bought the really expensive one for several reasons. Mainly because the likelihood that you will crash a drone is 100%. It takes practice to land, how to maneuver in the air, how to not panic when it is not doing what you want. One of the scariest things is flying around people. No matter if you are really high in the air on down low, when you are not secure in your flying skills the awareness that you will get from the quadcopter dropping out of the sky out of control and hitting someone, or causing a car accident is VERY real. I suggest if you ever fly one to do it in an open field away from trees and people. I am attaching clips of me flying at grant park. It is really cool when you get the hang of it. Definitely go cheap first before you spend too much money and you have to pay more to fix it after a bad crash.

Ameer

Bookmark the permalink.

2 Comments

1. avaughan4@gsu.edu

Ameer: I will have a post out about the politics inherent in using the word “Drone” sometime this week or next. I am in favor of dropping the word entirely from our vocabulary in favor of the phrase “Unmanned Aerial Systems”. Other academics I have spoken with are in agreement. Drone is a loaded term, and it’s loaded with baggage that isn’t representative of the sort of positive applications people like you and I are using these things for.

As for your comments about flying: I agree completely… it can be terrifying, especially when it finally decides to crash.

• Thank you, you are the second person that has mentioned not using that word to me. I like Unmanned Aerial Systems. When I posted the word Drone on social media it scared people. So now I’ll use that language and hopefully there becomes a standard language that is seen as positive terminology.