Front of Langdale Hall, Georgia State University (Farooqui)

Georgia State University is a thriving institution in the heart of downtown Atlanta. GSU’s urban location influences many design aspects of the campus; particularly the green spaces. Walking through the campus I observed how buildings such as Langdale Hall and Classroom South were lined with well maintained bushes. The bushes were placed ingeniously, in a way that complemented the surroundings without disrupting the flow of traffic. As I moved past Langdale into the courtyard the scenery changed quite noticeably. I felt secure in a secluded space. The tall willow trees towered over me as a protector and the platforms provided plenty space for me to sit and appreciate the surroundings. It was difficult to move on from the comfort of the courtyard but I had to move on and explore the rest of the campus. The student center utterly surprised me with its artistic and vibrant flora. The bushes in front of Student Center East were cut into various, well maintained circles. The long grasses had a green base that evolved into a bright yellow towards the top. The trees on either side of the entrance had various colored leaves. The most stand out aspect of the

Front of Student Center East, Georgia State University (Farooqui)

landscape was the bright red mulch which further complimented the aesthetically pleasing vegetation. I was very impressed by the green spaces in the student center and could not wait to observe what the recreational center had in store. But, to my surprise, the  Recreational Center had shockingly poor and scarce green spaces. The bushes were dying and unkempt. The trees were planted in patches of dead grass. The dominating feature in this area was the fortress like Recreational Center that appeared as a symbol of man made destruction.