Nebamun Hunting in the Marsh

Remake                                                                    Original

The content of the painting shows Nebamun hunting in a marsh it has many spiritual meanings behind the imagery. Like the cat symbolizes the sun god hunting the enemies of light and order also Nebamun is hunting in the fertile marsh showing his victory over nature according to the British Museum see  Nebamun hunting in the marsh. It was created in 1350 B.C. by the artist that created Nebamun’s tomb it was created to show his life accomplishments. This picture has great deal of context behind it Nebamun was considered a god in his culture. This picture shows him being victories over nature and how the sun god was working with him to fight enemies of light and order.

If we use a contextual analysis of the painting we see that many of the objects in the painting help us understand the meaning behind the painting. Such as the cat in formal analysis it is just a cat hunting with its master. But contextually we see that cats are religious symbols of the sun god.

If we use Psychological analysis we can look at the fact that Nebamun was considered a god amoung his people so the painter put him in that position he is larger than anything else in the picture. We see him aligned with the sun god working together to hunt and dominate nature.

This assignment was difficult to get the cats and chickens to behave and get them where I wanted them. I had to use a ton of chicken scratch to get them to stay still long enough to get the picture and the cat had to be harnessed to go outside and stay put. This our garden we lost some wheat doing this picture also we ussually keep the chickens out of this area because of there destructive behavior.

5 Thoughts.

1. You did a very good job just using your imagination to re create this piece as close as possible. I also liked all of the background informatation you provided about the work. lol I can only image the chaos you had to go through to get all of the animals to co operate for this picture, but you still got it done and it’s still very good.

2. This is great Nick! I’m glad to see more of your chickens too. I love that you got your cat in there too because that’s an important part of the original. The use of the wheat in place of the marshes is also quite clever. Very creative. 🙂

3. This picture made me laugh a bit. I’m sure you had to do a couple tries to get everything lined up! Good job though, this was a really good recreation.

4. The reproduced image is good. I think the original is a great piece of history. The image is curious to look at, because it is from an ancient time.

5. This was a good laugh for me! Not saying that it was bad work.. I am just meaning that you created the work in a very crafty way that I would have never thought of. I commend you for this being that my work was not this expressive, which may be how your personality is. Great work.