Racism Today, Can We End it Tomorrow?

Dear John Lewis,

In this animated book, it sets the tone with the bombing of the church. It then goes onto several cases of unfair treatment and injustice of people’s stories. The book calls out racism, and brings Martin Luther King Jr. to recite his sympathy for the “unoffending, innocent, and beautiful” lives that were lost. A flashback to January 20, 2009 is shown with our president, Mr. Barack Obama, and John Lewis. Following into the next chapter, I think it will show more of the tragic stories that have happened over the past years of our generations. 

Starting out into the book, I felt the emotions of the families and friends that had lost their loved ones. Going along with the pictures, makes it seem more real. This happened. I’m wondering why you, John, had decided to start it off with no sugar coating. I’m asking myself, what you think the significance of getting straight to the point of these stories as soon as we read the first page, meant to you. Did you want students to realize that this is life? Something that doesn’t stop for you, even when tragic and surreal events like this happen to us?

Today, racism exists. It’s sickening to the human stomach, even thinking about it. John Lewis, you think that one day, we can have a world without racism. We need people in the world to think like you do. We need the hope. However, I don’t think we can ever rid the world 100% of it. It seems very narcissistic to say. We go to college and work meeting new people with new beliefs. We learn from each other, we understand a little more of each other. We can start by individuals, to work towards seeing each other as human beings, not by pigmentation.

Yours Truly,

Mo Ta

Cultural awareness, respect, empathy, and collaboration!

OUR VALUES