Hey y’all,

So I have a Macbook, because as a film major it suits all my filmmaking needs. It’s not the best laptop for coding though. I struggled to set up and save files the way I needed to in TextEdit which is the Mac equivalent of Notepad. It took me a long time to figure out how to configure my settings in order to allow me to write HTML code and save it in the correct format.

Besides those initial challenges everything went smoothly. I vaguely remember taking some coding classes when I was really young, like maybe seven or eight years old. Although it was challenging, learning HTML was very peaceful. Once you get the hang of the standard format (doctype declaration, html opening, body opening, heading one, paragraph 1, body closing, then final closing) it’s easy to start slowly experimenting and adding in attributes and elements. I thought HTML would be stricter than it actually is. I learned that it’s not case sensitive and in terms of display adding extra lines and spaces does not matter. It’s best practice though not to be lax with your HTML writing and to use lowercase letters when writing the code so that you are equipped to write stricter codes such as XHTML.

CSS was a bit more challenging. I found CSS to be more interesting than HTML solely because I enjoy designing things and formatting thins in a way that makes them look visually pleasing. That’s what CSS is made for. Because of its intricate role in website development though, it’s a bit more tedious to write by hand than HTML is. I was confused at first on how CSS can be combined with HTML in order for the web page to be formatted the way you want it to be. I found that there are three different ways you can insert CSS: externally (through a link in the “head” section of the HTML), internally (within the style element of the head section of the HTML), and through inline (a unique style element added to a specific line of code i.e. a single paragraph or heading).  

I also didn’t realize how numerous elements were when it comes to coding. It’d be very tedious to code a whole website by yourself. You have to include every single line break, thematic break, image, color, font, font size, etc. Every little detail on the page has to he written in the code in order to be displayed the way you want it to. I need to spend more time working with AI in order to write HTML and CSS for my website

I don’t have any questions. The tutorials were very helpful and made a lot of sense to me. I think I just need to spend more time practicing what I’ve learned in the tutorials so that I can be familiar with adding all sorts of elements to my page. I want my portfolio to look really nice and I believe that I can do so with a little extra effort.