Class Notes

Analyzing Columbusing as an Argument-1.4

In this article, Salinas wants people, predominantly Americans, to take a closer look at the culture that they are taking on and not just the face value. She doesn’t want the culture that we are “discovering” to be hurt as a result of people taking the good or service out of context. The only thing that Salinas can really ask readers to do is to think more before they take a yoga class or eat at a Chinese restaurant and whether or not the consumer’s support is tearing down cultural values. Salinas defines Columbusing as “discovering” something that has existed forever but seems new because it has existed outside of the individuals culture, nationality, or tradition.  This apply’s to her call to action because she wants Columbusing to occur less frequently and for participants to analyze more closely the culture which they are adopting. At the very least, a fitness guru can read up on the roots of yoga and mindfulness before taking a class at their local LA Fitness. I do believe though that Salinas wants these culture crossovers to occur but in more authentic doses. Westerners have a tendency to take a small chunk of a culture and only focus on that small portion, whether it be religion, food, or even dress. In my religious studies class we learned that Buddhism focuses on community, organization, and rituals. In the past couple of decades this religion has been on the rise in popularity in western culture. The problem is that westerners only took small pieces of the large religion and adapted it to protestant views. For instance, when an American thinks of Buddhism most (Not all) would think of meditation, chakra, and Nirvana. These aspects focus more on the individual (and Protestant) side than the community bound religion that Buddhism is. Now I am not saying that practicing these pieces of Buddhism is bad (Heck, my dad meditates 30 minutes a night and loves the ideals of the religion), I just wouldn’t want such a rich culture to be dwindled to only what is trendy at the time.

Salinas:

1-hummus, Mexican food, empanadas, and coconut water

2-yoga

3-henna tattoos and color runs

My Experiences:

1- I worked at Plato’s Closet (consignment store for teens) for 5 months over spring and summer and was surprised at the frequency of clothing with prints of Hinduism’s Gods. Also there were A LOT of elephant printed clothing found throughout the store. All of this is trendy now.

2- I went to Myrtle Beach a couple of summers ago and was surprised when I saw on the strip of shops a store dedicated to crystals and their healing powers.

3-I go to the gym every morning and sometimes there is a Zumba class. Many authentic dances have been adapted to become a “spicy” workout.

One comment

• Mrs. A
    August 28, 2016 - 6:34 pm | Permalink

Really great examples, Matt. The anecdotal evidence of all of the prints of Hindu gods is particularly effective. Actually the Buddhism examples, too. They are so specific, detailed, and stem from such a genuine place of personal experience, your readers are likely to nod in agreement. Awesome.