take2: Job Interview

Posted in Uncategorized

Last week, I went in for a job interview at a tutoring center —TC for short, because I don’t want to be bothered type that out— and I noted a couple things about my new employer, we’ll call him Mr. C.

1. Mr. C is high school alumnus (Go Wildcats!)
  2. He decided to open up his own TC instead of taking an entry-level job right after graduation.
  3. He happens to be my old high school classmate’s older brother.

This wasn’t the only job interview that I had, but I really wanted this job in particular because, as previously mentioned, I’m an Edu major and trying to integrate myself into the field.

At the end of the interview, Mr. C asked me if I had any questions. I’m pretty sure this was when I would’ve been expected to ask about the hourly wages, how many hours I’d be working, things of that nature but my train of thought kept going back to why he decided to take a risk, opening up a TC right after graduation instead of going the general route of taking an entry-level job and moving up the corporate ladder.

I asked and at first, he laughed, saying how it felt like I was the one interviewing him. His answer was that he’d seen and experienced how larger, more established TCs operated, didn’t like the methods being utilized and decided to make his own way in the field. After hearing his answer, I became of how, in my search for a job, I’d forgotten that even a part-time job is critical in paving a career path. I could’ve chosen to work as a front-desk receptionist at an office, a cashier at a store, or a barista at a coffee shop (which I’ve already done for two years) but it wouldn’t have brought me much closer to what I want to do for the rest of my life. This isn’t to say that working in those environments is not beneficial to others, but it would’ve been very distracting for me because I like to try new things and sometimes get carried away.

The reason I became an Edu major was because I had also seen and experienced how the education system has changed over the years. I don’t like it, and I decided that I want to change it or at least become involved in a movement to instigate changes. I’ll talk more about why in another post, another time.

Thanks to a successful job interview and a wonderful first encounter with my new employer I received a refreshing reminder of what I’m striving to become.

That’s all for today,

L.

p.s. I got the job!

Be First to Comment