Does having a criminal record means you are not qualified?

Just because you have a criminal record does not mean you are not qualified. Everybody deserves a chance and it should not matter what you have done. If you served your time and know what you have done wrong I do not see the problem. It is like slavery all over again but on another level of being discriminated against whether it is for a job, loan application, apartment application, etc. Recently, I have experience a situation like this. Back in 2011 of my senior year, I went to a party and everybody at the party was arrested for underage drinking. It was a misdemeanor. I thought it would automatically erased once I turned 21, but I was wronged. I had an interview with six flags and I got the job as a ride operator. I came back a week later so they could process my paperwork, but when I got there my background was not back.  A week went by and I called them and nothing. I got a packet in the mail from six flags saying that they took my job offer back, due to my misdemeanor. I thought that was really strange because I am 23 now and I even disclosed that on my application. Why would they give me an interview along with a welcome packet if it was a big deal? I grew up in a wonderful neighbourhood, high middle-class and never got in trouble with the law until 2011. I was devastated and scared when it happened, I thought it would not be a big deal. I am pretty sure everybody did drink when they were young and at a party. It is just very unusual and the jobs I had in the past did not ask but ran a background yet.