Impact on Student Learning

I have a dream every day in school. My dream is to see my students to get a strong foundation in Mathematics in my classroom that will prepare them for the future. I always tell them never to give up because most of them have a negative preconception oof Math before they got to my class. My approach to solve such issue is usually to teach them mathematics through their culture (Ethnomathematics). “By observing the students in their home/community environment, teachers will be able to include aspects of the students’ cultural environment in the organization and instruction of the classroom” (Ladson-Billings, 1995). Furthermore, Ethnomathematics is important because much of today’s curriculum is so disconnected from the child’s reality that it is impossible for the child to be a full participant in it (D’Ambrosio, 2001).

I found that the best approach to teach them is to use cultural teaching method because it could help them to be proud of whom they are. “Culturally responsive teaching is defined as using the cultural characteristics, experiences, and perspectives of ethnically diverse students as conduits for teaching them more effectively” (Gay, 2002, p. 106). So, my lesson is always related to the culture of my students and their families to show them that they are valuable. Because I acknowledge their culture in my lessons, my students are more open to learn any concept of mathematics that is connected to it. It is important for teachers to care about what is valuable for their students. Kokka (2015) stated that “Students of all backgrounds and socioeconomic levels bring a wide variety of experiences and contributions to the classroom” (p. 18).

Thus, I impact my students learning by using a method that is common to them such as their culture. My students enjoy learning the curriculum using Ethnomathematics.

• D’Ambrosio, U. (2001). What Is Ethnomathematics, and How Can It Help Children in  Schools?. Teaching Children Mathematics, 7(6), 308-10.
  • Gay, G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching: Journal of Teacher Education, 53 (2), 106-116.
  • Kokka, K. (2015). Addressing dilemmas of social justice mathematics instruction through
    collaboration of students, educators, and researchers. Educational Considerations, 43(1),
    13-21.
  • Ladson-Billings, G. (1995). Toward a theory of culturally relevant pedagogy. American Educational Research Journal, 32(3), 465-491.