Classroom Management

I usually manage my class according to the students and the lesson. I differentiate my class in almost every Block because students behave differently . My goal is basically to create a safe and learning environment for every student in my class regardless their disabilities. As described by Stiller (2011), to be successful as a mathematics teacher in the minority, it required teachers to have love and passion for students’ success every day.

I think it is important for teachers to use instructional strategies and supports that will satisfy all their students. Particularly for students with specific learning needs. I have a great hope for the success of my students with or without learning disabilities. Furthermore, I always pace myself to satisfy as much as possible my 504, ADHD and IEP students. I think the best strategy to use for any class setting is a strategy such as the universal design for learning strategy (UDL). So, during my lesson, I always ask my students to read, to see images, to hear information and to write their work.

Distractions has been observed as one of the main causes of students to be slow to grasp easy mathematics concepts. I believe that having my students working in groups as well as giving them tasks that they will be responsible for within their groups will keep them focus and engaged to learn. By doing so, I hope that it will help my students to be better prepared for future lessons and activities.

I change the seating in my class every week to promote student learning. Another advantage of putting students in groups is that it gives me the opportunity to see the whole class and to be able to monitor them effectively in my Differentiated Instruction (Tomlison, 2001). Good seating disposition promotes a positive learning, and it also offers me the opportunity to apply several co-teaching methods with my co-teacher.

• Stiller, S. (2011). Hooking students so they don’t give up. In C. E. Sleeter & C. Cornbleth (Eds.),
    Teaching with vision: Culturally responsive teaching in standards-based classrooms. (pp. 82-99). New York: Teachers College Press.
  • Tomlinson, C. A. (2001). The role of the teacher in a differentiated classroom. In C. A. Tomlinson (Ed.), How to differentiate instruction in mixed-ability classrooms. (pp. 16-20). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
  • Tomlinson, C.A. The differentiated Classroom 2nd edition, A series of video excerpts
    http://bcove.me/ucuv79zn (about 8 min.)