Built Environment Description 3: Liberty Plaza

What used to be a simple parking lot across from the Georgia State capitol building is now a site dedicated to the ideal of freedom that the Founders based our nation on. Liberty Plaza is a space dedicated to the people and their right to speak out against what they see as unjust. The central lawn, a vast green space from which the rest of the plaza seems to radiate, is supposed to be the major focal point for large groups that hold public rallies and assemblies both during and between legislative sessions. Concrete sidewalks and platforms surround the lawn and provide a stage for individuals to speak or listen to what’s happening. The public plaza is large enough to accommodate over 3,000 visitors. This is the perfect location for people to gather and feel as though their voices are being heard. The most visually captivating feature of the area, in my opinion, was the backdrop of the capitol building. I felt that if I were protesting there, I was speaking directly to the people who I was hoping to influence. Towards the west side of the plaza, the state flags of the original 13 colonies circle a replica of the Liberty Bell. The plaza is very open; there aren’t any trees or walls surrounding the plaza, aside from a gate at the entrance that was wide open when I went. This was probably intentional, as it conveyed even more of a sense of freedom.

liberty-plaza-aerial-view

This comparison shows how new the park is. It was finished in January 2015, and Google Maps hasn’t even caught up yet.

img_0094 img_0100 img_0113

Bookmark the permalink.