Color Walking for a digital space could be to click on a predetermined color of a particular website. Color is very important in digital spaces because they act as visual cues. Visual content is very important in digital environments. All communication is multi-modal.
Digital spaces are like physical spaces in ways like
- described as a “space”
Ways that a digital space is not like a physical space could be
- not touchable
- not a specific location
Descriptions of the digital space will sound a lot like the physical spaces. Navigation, design, character, purpose, comparison, and audience are all things that can be talked about.
Melissa King’s article about Better Online Living through Content Moderation
- Haven’t developed rules of etiquette in the digital world
- The problem of accessibility for the internet
- The controversial idea of cyber bullying – is it really bullying? Are they just words? Do these words cause actual damage?
- Spamming someone with hurtful messages (more harmful because you have to do more action in order for the harassment to stop) vs saying something hurtful to someone’s face
- Types of things mostly happen to women
- Cyber bullies are anonymous. The pro about being anonymous is the person can be truly honest but the con is also the same thing because the honesty can be harmful. Should we take away the ability to be anonymous?
- The rhetorical situation matters. What is the intent?
- Privately owned spaces are seen as publicly owned spaces which causes problems
- Using content control features, authors taking responsibility, moderators discontinue being biased, and establishing rules could diminish these types of problems for users.