Protection Agaisnt Corruption: A Cut and Colored Flag

“Year 2083. Los Angeles streets in ruins. The world in ruins. Fire. Destruction. I’m always running, ducking, hiding. I have to fight for my life whenever I leave camp. There are only a few of us still alive, broke, homeless, hungry. Dying. The others had become savages. How could the streets I rode tricycles on betray me? How could my  very baby sitters become so selfish that they steal from and hurt my family? Where is the government? Dinning on real silverware I bet. The rest of us out there need to know the truth.  They need to know what really happen to our nation, as if our society wasn’t bad enough. We need to save each other. I have to save some one. With this armor, I must.”

Governmental corruption is not a lie, nor is it thing of the past. Dylan is a 13 year old boy in year 2083. The government has implemented 270 purges, where the nation’s population has dropped over half. They have control over remaining veterans and have stolen all the money and rights in the land. Dylan lost his home and parents, and now roams the cracked streets of California wearing my designed armor, for those after him to see what is the real evil, and for people of 2017 to see it now. 

This is one of my own drawings done in a previous art class last year. This picture can sum up a large amount of what my armor says, and who the creepy man is. It is more than trump, because he wasn’t known to me at the time, and because trump today isn’t the only one. It allows the viewer to input any corrupt person of major authority.

To begin, the armor has it’s split mask . One side shows a hurt, true America. and the other shows a cruel, marble smile with a net eye. The flag began as a basic painted square, then, with the use of grey and darkened shades of red and blue, I created dimension as if the flag was flying.  The net eye represents how the government sees everyone as a catch. The marbling was done with thin faded paint strokes, and represented wealth and a classic stone of elegant ignorance. 

I created the Controlling Hand Gun. It was a big part of my slight aggression expressed in my entire work. I begun by plastering my arm twice for an abstract but Identifiable shape. I then layered the arm with paint and mod poge after adding design features for appearance, and a trigger. Finally, I cut and tied clear floss connecting to army soldiers and a helicopter to 3 of 5 fingers on the hand. The toys are hanging through a grill plate to help the arm dry. 

In correspondence to the aspect of the pupped strings,  I crafted little clay scissors, with Prang Das Clay, Even though they don’t actually work , they are able to communicate a message that is  asking to essentially stop war and bring our soldiers home. 

Finally I completed the wearable main portion of the armor-the piece with the most content including both 2 and 3 dimensional elements. 

The shirt piece corresponds to the split concept of the mask. For the corrupt side, I cute a blazer in half and both glued and pinned it to an old sweatshirt I had. There is money, 100 bills to be exact, stuffed inside the pockets of the greedy, and a Holy Bible pin on the collar. This shows the ideals of most corruptors that are quite amusing. They stand strongly on the claim that this nation is to be under God, yet they do not act godly, and only exercise certain principles to  justify their actions..

The true America side is a much brighter, and more colorful collection of items and symbols that represent factors of society that go ignored. The American flag has small, painted depictions of people with all different ethnicities and cultures to symbolize diversity. As much as certain people deny it, America is indeed a mixing pot for almost every country in the world. Towards the right, there are beautiful flowers- and even trees and water-following down the arm. The trees were made from fake moss and plastic, while the flowers were fabric. The water, however, was made from hot glue and paint. Underneath, on the lower sleeve, is the earth. Nature is so neglected and undermined that we as a people couldn’t take it for granted any more. There is also #cut the strings written in white paint that ties the gun and scissors together.  The lower portion of this side includes my own Constitution, stating facts along the lines of, “Everyone isn’t rich and white”, and “WE THE PEOPLE means everyone”. They are but mere observations I’ve made from growing up in a world that should be much better than it is. 

Even beyond 2083, I hope the messages spoken in my work will spark a mind into becoming the next face of good change in this world, so that maybe an apocalyptic future isn’t as predictable.