It’s A… X?

By Jamila Bell

Having a baby is one of the most exciting things for couples. There is so much planning that goes into bringing a child into the word. Parents have to think about baby names, daycare options, first words and other milestones that come with a growing child.

In recent years, gender reveals have become a popular event with expecting parents. This event is a gathering of family and friends, similar to a baby shower minus the gifts. During the party, there is a dramatic unveiling of the gender of the baby with different colors and other socialized gender markers.

Generally, doctors can identify the gender of the fetus between 13 and 16 weeks of pregnancy. Many parents are excited to find out the gender of their child as soon as possible to start planning for baby shower ideas and clothing.

The binary of gender consists of a boy and girl, which is determined by the genitalia of a child at birth or in the womb.

What if there was a third option for gender at birth? Starting January 1, 2019, that option becomes a reality. The New York City Council and Board of Health  has voted to include a third gender option on birth certificates. The gender “X” is to break the gender binary and offer more inclusivity. 

This decision has caused many discussions throughout social media and other news platforms. There is a lot of confusion behind this decision and many people wonder what the purpose of a third gender is.

Gender is a social construct that operates on a spectrum. Gender has traditionally been seen as an identification of sex, decided by anatomical markers. An article in genderspectrum defines gender as a “complex interrelationship between three dimensions: Body, identity and expression.”

People are socialized to align with the gender they are assigned at birth. From the time parents are told the gender, they begin to groom their child based on social norms and standards.

I got a chance to speak to “Angel” (they do not wish to be identified). Angel is intersex and uses the pronouns they/them. Someone who is intersex has ambiguous genitalia and with that, it can sometimes blur the lines of the gender of a person.

Angel says “When I was born, the doctors notice that my clitoris was enlarged and resembled a penis. They told my parents in order for me to live a normal life I should get a circumcision. Thankfully, my parents opted out of the unnecessary surgery and allowed me to develop naturally.”

Angel presents as female but has internal testes which produce high levels of testosterone. They (Angel) don’t feel as if female pronouns properly depict their identity. “I use they/them pronouns because that’s what fits best. Physically I look more feminine, but I just don’t feel like that’s who I am. I also don’t completely identify with the idea of what a man is, I’m just me. I don’t subscribe to any specific gender role. That’s why I consider myself to be non-binary, or gender non-conforming,” Angel says.

In 2019, New York will have the third gender as a viable option on birth certificates. The legislation will also allow a person to change their gender marker without a doctor’s note or health care affidavit.

The push for inclusivity has been an ongoing struggle with many different communities. In 2015, President Obama granted legislation for the legalization of same-sex marriage. This sparked massive support from the LGBTQIA+ community.

Within that community, people still fight for equality. Gender identity is a complex discussion and can be quite confusing.

“People are assigned gender at birth, but it doesn’t always align with their identity as they grow up. I think adding this third gender will give people a chance to allow their kids to become who they want to be without the pushed on societal standards,” Angels say.

For the trans community, this is a big win. Someone who is transgender identifies with a gender that they were not assigned at birth.

During the transitioning period, some people go through intense legal difficulties. Trans people tend to change their name, pronouns and sometimes genitalia to comfortably fit into their preferred gender category.

Toby Adams, an executive director of Intersex and Genderqueer Recognition Project, did an interview with ABC News. He said, “It’s really damaging legally and psychologically to have your gender identity misidentified, and there are so many places where we have to show our ID.”

Inclusivity is about intentionally including people who usually marginalized. New York led with the legislation, but others are following. Massachusetts also advocates for adding gender X  as an option when applying for a driver’s license. The option became available in November of 2018.

Gender identity is being pushed to the forefront of LGBTQIA+ rights. This legislation has sparked many conversations. It brings visibility to people in this community.

Gender X may just be the beginning. There are more than two genders and the conversation of identity continues to grow.

“Gender,” as we know it, may become a thing of the past, considering it is a social construct. There will always be room for interpretation and adaptation.