Week Three: Job Reconnaissance

Happy Friday! For week three in my Digital Writing & Publishing class, I was assigned with the task of using job posting websites to find entry level positions in the writing industry. Going into this assignment, I hoped to continue where I left off last week after getting insight from different AI text generators on various topics that will help me down the line with my writing and what job opportunities are made available to me. To do this I decided to focus on finding entry level positions through Indeed and Flexjobs.

When going into this assignment, I chose Indeed because it gave me access to a wide variety of positions while also providing the ability to be as narrow with my search as possible. Starting off, I searched for careers based off of the keyword ‘writer’. Since I’m still exploring the careers my degree will open me to, I wanted to be very simple to get more results. When looking at the different entry level positions found through this, the most typical skills and experiences required were:

• Must have a BA or equivalent work experience (Preferred degree in English, Journalism, Marketing, or Creative Writing)
  • At least one year of experience as a full time writer 
  • A strong portfolio that showcases a range of writing samples
  • Excellent collaboration and communication skills
  • Able to work under the stress of strict schedules and have the flexibility to work different shifts

Overall while each position required different things, they were all consistent in wanting an employee that is detail oriented, creative, and exceptional writers. These factors were expected because in the writing industry, and any industry in the arts, it is important to be able to set yourself apart from others. It is already a competitive field regardless of the position so I believe writing skill is what will determine who is chosen. 

From my research, I learned that even for entry level positions it is expected to have a certain amount of experience and knowledge in regards to the industry I am entering. I also learned that it is important that not only I have a strong portfolio but I am able to showcase a variety of writing styles. Considering I have not yet decided  on a specific career, exploring these different styles will benefit me immensely. It will improve my skill as a writer while also helping me see what I am drawn towards. I also found out that while some of these careers offered remote positions, they value being able to collaborate with others in an efficient way. 

With everything I have learned, I plan on practicing more with my writing skills and learning different techniques and styles that will expand my knowledge in my field. Since it is important to have prior experience, I also want to do more research on internship programs so I can have already stepped into this industry before I graduate. This way I can see upfront what things are like and get the experience that I need. Lastly, I will work to better myself when it comes to working under pressure and flexibility. As someone who often procrastinates, it is not something that I want to carry into my future career. It is better to work on stopping this harmful habit now than later.