My Local Ballot

I am registered to vote in Columbus, GA. I used vote411.com to collect my data about what would be on the polls. I found out that basically everything is going to be included, and I am very uneducated about the choices. We are choosing the president (of course), the US Senate representative, Public Service Commission, US Representative of District 2, GA Senate District 15, GA House District 136, District Attorney, County Clerk of Superior Court, Sherriff, Tax Commissioner, County Judge of Probate Court, County State Court Solicitor, 4 proposed constitutional amendments, County Judge of Municipal Court, and County Clerk of Municipal Court. WOW– Okay. So for some of these races, there are people running unopposed, whereas others have 2 or 10 candidates. I never had any idea that there were so many positions that would be on my local ballot, but I was especially intrigued by the proposed constitutional amendments. One was, “Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended to allow the state to intervene in chronically failing public schools in order to improve student performance?” I found this to be extremely interesting because Columbus is a city with very clearly defined schools based on performance. Columbus High School is ranked number two in the state, whereas Shaw High School is not even ranked at all. But yet, we live in the same local area. Why is one school thriving, while another turns out drop-outs and fosters an environment of drugs, alcohol, and crime? I don’t know, but hopefully this amendment will help things.