Little Five Points Halloween Parade

Flyer on the Little Five Points Halloween Parade website

On October 15, 2016, I attended the Little Five Points Halloween Parade along with three of my friends. It was insanely packed! There were so many people crowded up along the streets of the parade, trying to get the first glimpse of the people and cars marching for the event. Arriving thirty minutes late, we had a really hard time finding parking, but eventually we got our car snuggled up close and personal to a few other cars who were in the same situation as us only seconds before. We walked with a purpose for about five minutes until we arrived at the last leg of the parade route, and we got to see a majority of the procession. I think it is important to note here that we were dressed up as aliens so we could actually be a part of the culture of the parade that is so time honored in this district. So we make it to the edge of the parade line, and we see spectacular costumes and outstanding vehicular displays.

Squad goals!
Squad goals.
“WORRKKKK!”- the guy in front of us.
Squad goals.
Squad goals part 2.
Haunted hayride? No, thanks.
Haunted hayride? No, thanks.

Don't know what you are, but how's the weather up there?
Don’t know what you are, but how’s the weather up there?

Where's Waldo?? Which one?
Where’s Waldo?? Which one?

Some costumes, like those above, as well as the ones my roommates and I wore, were just for the holiday spirit of fright, creativity, or expression. Some others were used to make political statements (and what’s a good parade without a played out political statement?), while still others were used to advertise.

Bowie tribute! There were many of these this year.
Advertisement for local music center.

Maybe not a true political statement, but due to recent creepy clowns popping out of forests left and right, I choose to see it as such.

I wonder what Donald Trump would say about this... or maybe I shouldn't even ask.
I wonder what Donald Trump would say about this… or maybe I shouldn’t even ask.

There were a lot of interactive displays as well, with musical numbers or candy or flyers being flung into the crowd.

The support for this parade was great! So many people from different ages and backgrounds came together in support of a fun event to take the stress out of the week and focus on united efforts of Halloween spirit.

And I made an adorable new friend.

He slobbered a lot though.
He slobbered a lot though.